Jeans: A Love Story of People and Fabric

Photo Courtesy of Manuela Sepúlveda ’23  

170,000 years ago, Neanderthals used clothing as protection from the wilderness. Fast-forward to 21st century Homo sapiens: we now view clothing as far more than just protection, but as an essential part of how we interact with the world and our bodies. Since the 17th century, denim has been a universal element that highlights the relationship humans have with clothing. Our favorite pair of jeans, whether bootcut or straight, light-wash or dark, exemplify the connection between clothing and people. 

We do not let go of the clothing we love. Manuela Sepúlveda ’23 has had her jeans for “actually too long of a time.” Every time she stitches the ever-present holes in them, the jeans rip again because she continues to wear them time and time again. Dean of Students, Mr. Mike Velez ’00 owns two pairs of jeans that he wears until they, too, have holes in them. Jeans are meant to last, and Art teacher Ms. Catherine Adams agrees. When asked if she could only choose one piece of clothing to wear forever, she picked jeans. I hold the same sentiment, as I have had the same favorite pair of jeans since freshman year. They are growing old, but no matter how many years go by, they will never lose their place in my closet.

We are intentional about what we put on our bodies. Sepúlveda loves how her favorite medium-wash jeans hug her body. She notices how the cool undertones of the denim are complementary to the rest of her closet. Mr. Velez, on the other hand, is practical: In the winter, he chooses the fleece-lined version of his favorite pair of jeans, as they’re better suited for football games on the chilly outdoor fields. To Ms. Adams, the value of clothing is in the way it helps her interact with the world. “It’s all about how we stand, how we move in space,” she said. Personally, I wear my favorite jeans because I can carry a digital camera, earphones, wallet, disinfectant, Aquaphor, gum, my phone, and ID in my pockets. My jeans are both a representation of my style and a useful tool for everyday life. 

We wear what makes us feel capable, comfortable, and confident. Ms. Adams, for example, loves the way the jeans look, but more importantly, she loves the way they make her “feel held in them.” Just the simple act of wearing her favorite pair of jeans incites a chain reaction of events that make her day better. “When I wear something that allows me to have accuracy I feel in power — more capable,” she said. Mr. Velez, similarly, recognized the importance of feeling comfortable in your jeans. He spaces out washes to his jeans so that they do not become stiff and tight; if he is comfortable, he is “more productive and in a better mood.” Sepúlveda knows that she can rely on her jeans to face whatever those cold mid-winter days have in store for her. Jeans are essential during these times “when you wake up with so much on your mind,” she said. “These jeans got me through last year.”

Denim is a two-dimensional object crafted to conform to a three-dimensional subject. As denim’s subjects, humans create a unique relationship with it: as we grow, our jeans grow with us and become more worn-in from the experiences they gain each time they are taken out of their drawer. The relationship to a favorite pair of jeans can even grow stronger than a romantic one. From what I know, relationships are tough, but I will never break up with my favorite pair of big blue jeans. Even if my mom hates them. 

Peace Out.