Making Magic With Mr. Abbatiello

By Carolyn Chen ’25

Photo by Toffy Prakittiphoom ’24/The Choate News
Mr. Abbatiello working in the tech booth.

“If you can actively hear me doing my job, I’m not doing a good job,” said Mr. Michael Abbatiello, Choate’s new Assistant Technical Director and Sound Technician. From mainstage productions to all-school meetings, Mr. Abbatiello is responsible for ensuring that all the events in Choate’s theater spaces run smoothly.

Mr. Abbatiello brings a unique background as a “jack of all trades in terms of tech,” as he said, to his role. He has enjoyed focusing on sound tech at Choate, along with enhancing the presence of the arts on campus. “He is very interested in the way arts integrate into our community here as well as how we can challenge our current understanding of those arts,” Technical Director Mr. Mark Gostomski said. Justyce Easter-Butcher ’24, who regularly works with Mr. Abbatiello, agreed, “It’s very clear that he loves what he does and he tries to share that with everyone.”

After Choate’s previous Assistant Technical Director Mr. Paul Bozzi left last year, Easter-Butcher noted that Mr. Abbatiello had big shoes to fill. Easter-Butcher said, “I’m really glad that we got Mr. [Abbatiello]. He’s a really great guy and I’m excited to see what else he does.”

Throughout the past year, Mr. Abbatiello has also integrated himself well into the Choate community. “[Mr. Abbatiello] definitely has been a fun addition to the Arts Department and the theater program as well as to the arts facilities,” Mr. Gostomski said.

Mr. Abbatiello said his favorite part about his position is his ability “to work with the students and see them learn and grow.” Qin Caldwell ’24, who often works on technical projects such as musicals and concerts, said, “He’s my main resource when I need help with something [technically].” As a mentor figure, Caldwell added that Mr. Abbatiello is “always helpful for being able to effectively teach you or help you get to whatever you are, whatever problem you’re in, or help you fix whatever problem you’re trying to work on.”

Mr. Abbatiello’s contributions to the Choate theater community have already positively impacted so many students. “I’m very excited for my growth here at Choate,” Mr. Abbatiello said.