Behind the Scenes: A Q&A with the Casts of Choate’s Latest Theater Productions

The 25th Annual Putnam Spelling Bee performed in the Gelb. Photo courtesy of Choate Flickr

What revisions has the cast made to the original musical that made it unique to Choate/your performance?

“We definitely stripped back the show for the Gelb stage, which I loved. I think the classic simplicity really helped our production to be especially intimate. This was important in the smaller space, which I think was perfect for the show. Often, productions in Gelb [Auditorium] seem to only exist there because they had to be put there, but Spelling Bee felt right in the space. Trayjay chose to keep the accompaniment simple, with just a keyboard behind the songs. I think this choice made the show rawer. There was more relying on just us singing.” (Eliza Marovitz ’21)

Who is your favorite character in Spelling Bee?

“I think that Barfeé played by Lucas Eggers has to be my favorite. He was always in character, and it’s such a unique and strange character at that. He really brought the character to life. But I really did fall in love with all the characters. I really loved everyone — Rona, Panch, and Michelle were so funny, and you can’t forget Jesus. And all the kids were so well acted. I am really fond of the show, cast, and characters. Also shoutout to my husband, Gregory.” (Adrienne Chacon ’21)

What did you do to put your own spin on your character/make it unique?

“I went into the production with no knowledge of the show or of Rona Peretti. Trayjay said she wanted me to keep my English accent, which already set me apart from other versions of the character. I’m used to being typecast as an angry, tortured shrew. So, stepping outside of that sphere was exciting. I liked the way that Rona felt naive, excited, and passionate, but at the same time, I wanted to recognise her as a fully-fledged adult with an edge. I wanted her to be somehow set apart from the innocence of the kids in the Bee. Her flirtations with Panch and more aggressive moments where the happy bubble burst helped me to feel like I was actually portraying someone with depth.” (Marovitz)

Clue: On Stage is based on the 1985 movie that was inspired by the board game. Photos by Ryan Kim/The Choate News

Clue: On Stage i​s based on the 1985 movie that was, in turn, inspired by the classic board game. This year marks the 70th​ anniversary of the game, which was invented during World War II by a British couple trying to pass time during German air raids. The game was called Cluedo until the Parker Brothers shortened the name marketing it in the United States. 

What do you think is the most captivating thing about ​Clue?

“Clue is so unique in that it’s based on a well-known board game. When I say that to people, they get quite confused, but it’s basically all the characters in the board game taken to the next step. So everyone is extremely quirky in their own way, and our cast really makes all of them come to life. Also, the idea of having a comedy murder mystery is simply genius.” (Yasemin Cobanoglu ’21)

What has been your favorite part about being in ​Clue?

“It has been really great to get to know the other people in the cast. It’s a really abstract and crazy script, so it’s taken some work to get the characters up on their feet. Finding motivation between scenes has been a challenge, so seeing the show come together in the way it has and getting to work with such an amazing cast have been really great.” ​(Campbell Pflaum ’23)

What did you do to make your character unique?

“I just added a few moments here or there, including that he was like a pickpocket, and basically stealing things the whole show. That wasn’t in the script but at one point a reference is made that Plum might not be able to afford his blackmail, so I really just wanted to play with that.” (Wylie Doak ’22)

Who is your favorite character and why?

“Apart from Ms. Scarlet, whom I play, I have to say my favorite character is either Mr. Plum, played by Wylie, or Mr. Green, played by Peter. Plum is extremely cocky, and he is definitely one of the ‘comic-relief’ characters. Wylie does an amazing job portraying him, and he’s definitely a standout character to me. As for Mr. Green, he’s definitely much more shy and quiet. However, he has such funny and memorable moments that make him one of the characters to look out for, and Peter is perfect for the part.” (Cobanoglu)