Presto! Symphony Orchestra’s Summer Tour Across Italy

Photo courtesy of Cathryn Stout

On June 11, 2019, the day after the 2018 — 2019 school year came to a close, members of the Choate Symphony Orchestra were buzzing with excitement as they prepared to fly to Italy for a concert tour. 

The 11 days of culture, art, and music had been anticipated for nearly a year, after an earlier tour, scheduled for the 2017-2018 school year, was cancelled due to funding difficulties. 

Co-principal violinist Eliana Kim ’20 said, “After that international tour got cancelled, it disappointed and frustrated me a lot, especially because it was one of the main goals of my four-year Choate career. I think this tour definitely made up for that.”  

Students in Orchestra began to prepare their repertoire last fall, studying masterworks by famous Italian musicians and pieces inspired by Italian culture, including Rossini’s “La gazza Ladra,” Vivaldi’s “Four Seasons, Summer Concerto,” Mendelssohn’s “Symphony No. 4 Op. 90,” Verdi’s “Aida, Marcia Trionfale,” Respighi’s “Fontane di Roma” and Tchaikovsky’s “Piano Concerto No. 1.” 

Ethan Luk ’20 said, “I was really surprised by how receptive the audience was in Italy and surprised that they enjoyed our interpretations, because a lot of the pieces are iconic pieces in the Italian classical music canon. To hear approval and getting standing ovations was something really, really humbling and encouraging.” 

Claire Fu ’22 was also touched by the receptive audiences. “Almost every member in the audience saw our sign, thought it would be worth their time, and came of their own will. From my seat I could see some people smiling or nodding to the music. It was truly a blessing to be able to play for such a musically inclined audience.” 

Oboe player Supriya Chang ’21 said, “Especially in Rome, it made me super proud to be a musician just because the people were so accepting and loving towards us. As soon as we walked out of the venue, the audience who left before us saw us on the street and clapped for us — it was so genuinely heartfelt.” 

Kim had a particularly unique experience with the audiences and the Italian people in general; “I went outside to spread the word that Choate Orchestra is going to be performing. I got to perform in the streets to bring in some people. I think that was the most memorable part of the concert itself.” 

The Orchestra performed in iconic cathedrals in Rome, Florence, and Cremona. “Performing in cathedrals is always a great experience because the acoustics are always phenomenal and you feel this spiritual calm and energy whenever you play in such beautiful locations,” said Luk.  

Beyond performances, the musicians had the opportunity to experience Italian culture during visits to Rome, Assisi, Siena, Florence, Pisa, Cremona, Milan, and Venice. Italy’s rich history in the arts and humanities inspired many of Choate’s musicians to better understand the music they were playing. 

“Back at Choate, ‘Fountains of Rome’ was just another song we had to play” said Fu. “But after seeing the historical sights of the Trevi Fountain and many others, we could truly understand what the composer was trying to convey through his music. I would say our best rendition of that piece was in Rome!”

Experiencing other forms of Italian art provided further inspiration for the members of the orchestra. Chang said, “Vatican City was the most breathtaking — all the different rooms with the ceilings painted, the maps on the walls, and the sculptures. As well as being able to share our type of art with them, we were able to learn about their culture.” 

Luk also enjoyed Rome’s Vatican. “Overall the entire trip was so culturally enriching. I especially enjoyed visiting the Vatican museums because the work there is divine and otherworldly. The Sistine Chapel you can’t see in Wallingford,” he said. “For me, as an artist, I always think that visual art and the humanities feed into my playing. I think each art form inspires the other. Our getting to visit all of these places inspires us to play better.”

The musicians even had the opportunity to watch a performance by string group Interpreti Veneziani who, for their encore, performed the same Vivaldi “Four Seasons, Summer Concerto” that Choate’s Symphony Orchestra played in its concerts. “It was amazing. The intensity, the dynamic, the chemistry between all of the players — it was such a difference between what we did because they were so much better, but it makes you want to aspire to be at that level,” said Luk.  

Over the course of the 11 days in Italy, the musicians formed a much tighter bond as a group. From exploring ancient Roman cities to almost missing a connecting flight in Frankfurt, every moment was one shared together. Fu said, “Now, as some of us graduate and some of us make the decision to leave Orchestra, the group may never get together again, but we all share this one magical experience of seeing, exploring, and witnessing the unique culture of Italy and being a part of that lively culture.” 

One of Kim’s favorite memories is the many delicious Italian meals shared with her musical colleagues, as they allowed her to become closer with those she was already friends with and learn more about those she weren’t. “Even before the trip, I knew most of the orchestra people and talked with them a few times, but I think during the orchestra trip I’ve gotten to know people, underclassman especially, more personally.” 

After her experiences in Italy with her musical colleagues, Chang said, “Coming back and seeing those people again makes me a lot more excited for this year because I’m closer with the group.” 

Luk believes an orchestra’s solidarity enhances their playing. “I think we should do more of that [socialization] in the regular schedule, too, because there’s a lot of chamber and ensemble playing in the orchestra. In order to have a strong ensemble you must know who you’re playing with well in order to develop chemistry.”