Dietary Restrictions: Experiences in the Dining Hall

I became vegan not only to improve my physical well-being but also because a good friend told me about all the ways animal products harm the environment. It has been a little over a year since I converted, and I now enjoy a healthy lifestyle and a smaller carbon footprint.

I learned that the meat and dairy industries emit considerable amounts of greenhouse gases, and they also perpetuate the inhumane treatment of animals. I do my best to address these issues, as they’ve become a passion. As a C-Proctor, I strive to initiate change within the dining hall to implement more local and eco-friendly food choices.

I’m often questioned about how I stay vegan at Choate when the dining hall is so limited. I admit that it’s a challenge to put together good meals each day. For me, there isn’t a difference between Meatless Mondays and other days, and I need to work with what I have. I’ve had meals that range from a plain bagel with a side of rice and soy sauce to just fruit — apples, bananas, and clementines. Once, after circling the dining hall for ten minutes and witnessing nothing but a display of steamed carrots and Spanish rice, I left calling Iron Chef.

Still, SAGE does put together a mean salad bar and, on most days, has a varied selection of cooked vegetables in the hot food line. I’m grateful for that.

To improve, SAGE shouldn’t necessarily add more vegan options. After all, the majority of the Choate community isn’t vegan. Rather, I would recommend that the School puts more time and consideration into improving existing vegan options.

Graphic by Elaine Zhang/The Choate News