Valour Club: A Fashionable Platform For Building Confidence

The start of the spring term always brings an array of new clubs; one notable addition is the fashion club Valour. Introduced to the school with its video “Denim In Motion,” Valour promises a fun, vibrant new way to look at the clothes students wear. However, the club’s president, Krystal McCook ’20, didn’t want the club to be just for those who consider themselves “fashionable.” “The main goal of the club is to help people feel confident enough to express themselves through their clothing and not feel that they have to dress a certain way to be fashionable,” she explained. She also credits her own past insecurities as her source of inspiration. “I felt I couldn’t wear certain things because of my body type. I don’t think anyone should have to feel that way,” she said.

When creating this club, McCook felt apprehensive, worrying about the school’s reaction and Valour’s similarity to existing clubs. “I was afraid people were going to say it’s stupid, especially since In Moda is a thing,” she said. “But I got support from my friends, which was very helpful. It made me realize if I’m passionate about something, I should do it and shouldn’t be afraid of what others will say.”

The club members have different reasons for participating. For some, it is to express their love of fashion; for others, it is to enjoy the people involved. Javier Castillo ’20 said he joined to satisfy his interest for everything stylish. “As time has passed, I have slowly gained a love, attraction, and appreciation for everyone’s style,” he said. “I acknowledged that the way one dresses can say much about a given person. I decided that I wanted people to see who I was just by looking at me, and my style really helped me go about this.”

In the end, Valour wants to leave the student body feeling better about itself. Lily Ball ’20 said, “I think that it’s not just fashion or dressing a certain way or photoshoots. I think it’s about confidence and inspiring other people.”

McCook said, “I want to leave the school knowing I helped people feel comfortable. I want to know I made a difference in somebody’s life. I want to leave the school knowing some of my peers won’t feel insecure anymore.”

Tags: ,