Studying abroad, Establishing a Global Lens

We’ve all heard of the “Choate bubble”, a term loosely meaning the sense of comfort we all share at Choate; but we usually just brush the idea off our shoulders and ignore the thought. While there is nothing wrong with enjoying this nicely-constructed, utopic bubble, being in China for the past week has opened my eyes far beyond the scope of Wallingford, showing me many different offerings of the world. You could say that my bubble has disappeared, or even bursted, allowing me to lean into discomfort. Willing to do this and to experience a different way of life, I believe, has many advantages on one’s global context and insight into the world beyond the United States.

Photo courtesy of Luis Bao

Owen Collins ’19, Jana Godbole ’19, and Emma Mears ’18 interact with an instructor in Galicia, Spain.

Having been abroad just recently, I’m still in the process of transitioning and adjusting to the many different cultural and social norms China has. From not drinking cold beverages, to not being allowed to wear shoes around the house, or even having to wear a facemask outside of the house due to air pollution, living in Beijing certainly feels very different to living in America.

The moment I step outside my bedroom for the day, I’m not only immediately immersed in Chinese, but I also need to adjust quickly what the day brings me. Each day brings new stories to tell as I continue to make China my home for this spring. Instead of eating omelets for breakfast, my host family has been preparing me rabbit. Instead of pedestrians having the right of way, cars do. Both the little things and big things have completely flopped upside-down for me, but I’ve continued to grow and gain more resilience each day.

Studying abroad leaves you with no choice but to adjust and open your eyes to the world outside of the norms in your home, school, and country. Seeing people go about and live life so differently continues to be interesting. I’ve picked up on many things here. For example, in the Chinese culture, no does not always mean no. There is a big difference been a solid no and a polite one. For example, every night my host says no when I ask if I can help with the dishes — this is a polite no. This polite no in the Chinese culture actually welcomes me to do the dishes with her if I insist hard enough. Not only is the language itself different, but answers and responses may also mean very different things.

Adjusting to life in any new culture comes with various struggles, but after being abroad for just a short period of time, I would say these issues come with a very meaningful reward. The growth I have experienced thus far has already left me with an invaluable gift — the new “global lens” I have gained to see the world. Every conversation I have turns into a learning experience. Every meal brings new foods and tastes to my palate. Every car ride not only shows me a different piece of the world, but also brings a newfound appreciation of my surroundings. After just my first week in Beijing, I have learned that immersing oneself in another’s culture offers so many advantages that our “Choate bubble” simply cannot encompass.