Passion and Practice: The Journeys of Jazz Pianists

Photo by Emily Ma ’25/ The Choate News
Bill Shen ’24, a jazz pianist in the Jazz Ensemble, improvises on the piano.

By Ethan Zhang ’26

Whether on the Colony Hall stage for music ensemble concerts or amid the bustling crowds of prospective families during Spring Visits, Choate’s jazz pianists’ performances require both precision and freedom. To pianists Mwendwawangai Daisley ’24 and Bill Shen ’24, their commitment to music extends far beyond extracurricular involvement.

Daisley’s piano journey started with classical training, but his first encounters with jazz began at his church. “I grew up in the church, a Black church, which was very influential and intertwined with jazz music,” he said. “That’s the music that I heard around the house and wanted to play.” 

Despite having no formal jazz piano training before Choate, Daisley has developed a remarkable aptitude for playing by ear — an ability sharpened by his upbringing. “Even though I can’t identify that this is, for example, a major seventh chord, I can hear it. And if I can hear it, I can reproduce it on the keyboard,” Daisley explained.

Upon matriculating at Choate and joining the Jazz Ensemble, his piano instructor Mr. Nathaniel Baker was instrumental in shaping his musical journey. “He’s been somebody who has helped me bridge the gap between the spheres of classical and jazz in the piano realm,” he said.

Daisley plans to continue playing piano throughout college and beyond. However, he doesn’t see himself pursuing a career as a pianist. “​​I used to play in many competitions classically, and for me, it loses the aspect of actual expression. Since you’re looking for a grade or someone to tell you whether your playing is good or bad, I don’t think I would want to do it professionally,”

Shen started playing classical piano at around age four or five, but he didn’t become invested in jazz until he arrived at Choate.

Guided by Arts Department Head and Jazz Ensemble Director Mr. Matthew McLean, Shen discovered a different dimension of piano through the lens of jazz. “When I first got into jazz, the improv was intriguing — something that I didn’t get from practicing those classical pieces.” 

Jazz Ensemble was also a way for Shen to get to know fellow students, especially during the Covid-19 pandemic. He said, “My freshman year was remote, and the way I met people was from ensembles,” he said. “Jamming with people and experiencing music in a new way, I felt like that was a way to connect with other people.”

Both Daisley and Shen’s journeys to jazz piano demonstratehow Choate can be a place of artistic exploration and discovery for students. As seniors, their final performance with the Jazz Ensemble will be at the Spring Instrumental Ensembles Concert on May 10.