Choate’s Top Tier Places for Tears

Graphic by Carolyn Chen ’25/The Choate News

By Steven Kee ’27

Whether you’re looking for a nice place to let loose some sobs because you have a history essay due in 10 minutes, or because the dining hall was out of sesame bagels, read on to discover the Choate community’s favorite campus crying spots that The Choate News collected from a survey. Sometimes you just need a private place for a cathartic release of tears, so discover what options are available around 333 Christian Street.

Colony Hall Rooms:

Soundproof walls, large rooms, empty spaces, and paper towels: the practice rooms in Colony Hall have it all. Shawn Yang ’24, who spends much of his time in Colony Hall as a student in the Arts Concentration Signature Program, is partial to Room 124 because of its privacy. “I feel like the artistic atmosphere of Colony Hall lends itself to crying and emotional expression,” he said. 

Kaylin Lam ’27 added that the L-shaped Room 112 is also an excellent place for a healing release of tears.

The Waterfall:

The waterfall, a short hike from the Remsen Arena, is a popular spot to let the water fall from your eyes. Athena Robinson ’24 appreciates this secluded cove — the waterfall is a great place to spend time alone in nature, away from the stress on campus.

Bathrooms:

The most popular destination for disappointment is, by far, the bathrooms. They are ubiquitous and easily accessible private spaces. Kristie Lu ’26’s favorite spot is the bathroom next to Lanphier Center’s Elman Auditorium. “It’s such a quiet and peaceful place, so I can listen to my thoughts and cry it out,” Lu said. “Also, in my experience, people don’t usually go into that bathroom, so I feel safe.” 

Amber Yung ’26 prefers the Colony Hall bathroom: “It’s just a lot better, it’s cleaner, and fewer people go there.” Alexander Schultz ’27’s favorite spot is the third-floor Humanities Building bathroom, Sunny Vo ’24’s is the Hill House bathroom, and for Ethan Zhang ’26, it’s the third-floor Student Activities Center bathroom. 

Most people credited bathrooms for their privacy, as they have stalls with locked doors. So whether you just failed your math test or were rejected by your crush, there’s always a bathroom around the corner.

Your Room (or your car):

You’re there for at least nine hours a day, so the chances of you ending up in your room if you’re crying are pretty likely. For most people, their dorm room is probably as close to home on campus as it gets. 

Leah Han ’27 said she likes to cry in her room because she would rather cry in a private space than in places that are easily accessible by other people. 

Day students who don’t have the luxury of having their own permanent, residential space on campus cry in their cars instead. Gavin Boudreau ’24 said, “In my car, I have agency; I have control over the environment. I feel free to cry in there because no one else will see me and I can just let it all out.” Another day student, Reagan Colton ’24, feels the same way: “I feel like it’s pretty private, and I’m a private person.”

Tennis Courts, the Black Box Theater, and the Cross Country course:

Other less popular responses still deserve mention. Jai Midha ’27 likes to cry on the tennis courts, especially in the cold at night, while Zoe Plunkett ’24 likes to cry on the steps of the tennis court. The Chase Bear Theater (Black Box) is also a favorite because it is usually empty during off hours and is equipped with speakers to blast music from. Boudreau likes to go to the cross country course when it’s raining, while some students prefer to go during sunset. 

It can be difficult to find a private spot to process your feelings in a close-knit community like Choate. Hopefully, the next time you need a me-time moment, you can find one of these locations for some privacy. The Choate Counseling Team is also available to support you through your troubles.