Students Feel Holiday Spirit at Tiz the Season

Photo by Jolie Zhang ’26
Students enjoy hot chocolate and candy canes at Tiz the Season outside of Lanphier Center.

By Eliana Li ’26

Tiz the Season, founded by Math teacher and holiday connoisseur Mr. Marquis Tisdale, has become a cherished tradition among the Choate community. Taking place during the final stretch of Winterlude between the Thanksgiving and winter breaks, the event landed on December 12 this year and mark the end of 2023.

“Fourteen years ago,” Mr. Tisdale shared, “I asked then-Dean of Students Mr. John Ford if I could steal the last School Meeting block of the calendar year to throw the School a party of sorts, and Tiz the Season was born. I felt that it was important for the community to get together for fun without any specific agenda.”

During a free block abundant with hot chocolate, homemade treats, and festive cheer, students come together to celebrate the holiday spirit and clear their minds from the stress-filled week. “Apart from the treats, I really just wanted the students to take some time to breathe and laugh with each other,” Mr. Tisdale said.

Students responded to the event with much enthusiasm. “My favorite part of the event was definitely getting to relax and spend time with my friends. The last week of Winterlude is always super stressful, and it was nice getting a break from that,” Emilia Stahura ’26 said.

Bladen Hawthornthwaite ’24 added, “The hot chocolate was delicious, and I really enjoyed being able to just talk with my friends without thinking about school.”

Months of careful planning preceded the actual event; Mr. Tisdale collaborated closely with Director of Student Activities Ms. Alexandra Long, Manager of Campus and Community Events Ms. Raquel Simoneau, and SAGE Dining Services to secure a holiday menu and festive decorations. “Having people around me who understand the purpose and the meaning of the event was extremely important,” Mr. Tisdale said.

In addition to the treats and music, this marks the third year of the card signing table. Decorated with fun stationary and festive cards, students could sign cards with uplifting messages that were delivered to a retirement home in Wallingford. Mr. Tisdale shared, “In a small way, we came together to bring smiles to others who needed them.”

Kara Wang ’24 added, “It was a great feeling of brightening someone else’s holiday in a small act that also brightened my own.”

Observing the event unfold, Mr. Tisdales reflected, “My favorite part of hosting Tiz the Season is always to stand back and simply watch the school community gather, smile, and enjoy each other’s company.”