What’s Not to Love: Why the Winterlude Blues?

By Chelsea Branch ’25

The air is getting crisper, and the trees are shedding their last leaves. People are taking out their puffer coats and chunky scarves that were gathering dust under the bed. Winterlude is finally here. Depending on who you ask, these two-and-a-half weeks between fall and winter break are either the most dreaded or anticipated time of the school year. 

Winterlude is one of Choate’s most contentiously debated phenomena. Is the shift to the New England winter a sign of holiday joys, or is it the start of a brutal season of frostbitten fingers? Or, perhaps, winterlude is a time for teachers to go easy on the course load, or not; depending on who you have, they might just pack an entire unit in 17 days. If you ask anyone, they will undoubtedly agree that this is a unique part of the year, but as for me, it is the very best part. 

Fall term is egregiously long, spring term always flies by faster than we want it to, and the latter end of winter term is so dreary and dark that all I want to do is sleep. But, Winterlude is just right! Two-and-a-half weeks feels doable and, most importantly, dividable. Rather than viewing it as a dreaded stretch of school and classes, I like to think of it as just two weekends or two School Meetings away from a much-needed Winter Break.

With the realization of Winterlude’s transience comes a mindset change. Since the interlude is so short, I always intend to make the most of it. I spend more time with friends knowing I won’t see them until after the new year. I wear my favorite clothes because soon enough, my outfits will be hidden under my heaviest coat. I even feel more motivated to do my work, reminding myself that I’m only one test or project away from uninterrupted tranquility. 

Many students’ aversion towards Winterlude is rooted in the schoolwork associated with it. It’s an odd amount of time, so teachers tend to swing to either extreme with their curriculum. Either you are knee-deep in research for a terribly difficult project or cruising through the simplest assignments you’ve seen in your Choate career. But, no matter what, Winterlude is fleeting. If there is a struggle, it does not last long; the finish line is in sight! You can’t say that for any other part of the school year.

In addition, the Winterlude Student Activities Center (SAC) events never disappoint. Our two weekends here are jam-packed with fun. Events like the Student Choreographers’ Showcase, the Holiday Shopping Trip in New York City, the Diwali celebration, the Wallingford Holiday Stroll, and more, make up for the potentially heavy workload. The most widely anticipated among these is the Holiday Ball (Hol Ball). I love Hol Ball because it is one of the few times that our whole student body, from the freshmen to the seniors and post-graduates, comes together for an evening of dancing and fun.

Some of my fondest Choate memories have taken place during Winterlude. The first time I recall feeling at home here was during my freshman Winterlude. It was 2021, and a much-feared Covid-19 outbreak resulted in a schoolwide quarantine. Though the grab-and-go meals, Zoom classes, and confinement to our rooms were certainly not ideal, I made my own fun with my dormmates. We spent hours watching movies, going on walks, and learning more about each other, leading to three years worth of imperishable friendships. 

So, for anyone with a case of the Winterlude blues, the next few weeks are entirely what you make of them. Bask in the warmth of the library as you do your work. Wear all of the fuzzy pajamas and cozy sweaters that you’ve been looking forward to rocking. Make a warm cup of cocoa, turn up some holiday music, and get in the mood for the season. There’s so much you can do to make Winterlude the greatest time of year. And if you can’t help but hate it, don’t worry: it’s only two-and-a-half weeks.