Ranking Every Hol Ball Theme

By Arushi Krishnan ’27

When taking on the post five years ago, Director of Student Activities Ms. Alex Long decided to create catchy, wintery themes for every Holiday Ball (Hol Ball). “I love themes, and think they make events more fun,” she said. I completely agree with Ms. Long; themes elevate events, allowing creativity and individuality to shine. All the past Hol Ball themes have been creative and wonderful. However, if I had to rank them from great to greatest, here is how my ranking would go:. 

Number 5: Comfort and Joy (2020)

2020’s Hol Ball was notoriously hosted on Zoom, as the pandemic deprived students of an in-person dance. Students dressed in their coziest winter attire and participated in light-hearted games, competitions, and crafts from the comfort of their homes. “Everyone was dancing to holiday music up and down in their little zoom cells,” said Carter Foster ’24. While there is nothing explicitly negative about “Comfort and Joy,” it defaults to fifth place because the other themes took place in a big, beautiful dining hall – not a box on a screen. 

Number 4: Flannel and Frost (2019)

“Flannel and Frost” was extremely imaginative and season-appropriate, but I believe it would have been more fitting for an event at an ice skating rink or a café. I think of flannel and frost as a daytime, outdoor winter aesthetic. However, it provided a chance for creative decoration and was a very original idea. 

Number 3: Pearls and Plaid (2023)

This year’s theme was a nod to 2019’s “Flannel and Frost,” but with a bit more extravagance. Although most students did not wear plaid clothing, plaid decoration gave the dance a very cozy, wintery feel — similar to that of flannel. Many students accessorized with pearl jewelry, which elevated their looks and matched the decor. 

Number 2: Warm and Cozy (2021)

Unfortunately, this Hol Ball was canceled due to a Covid-19 outbreak, but I imagine it would have been a night to remember. “Warm and Cozy” is a theme that perfectly captures the comforting essence of the holidays, yet does not take away from the fashionable outfits and atmosphere. The warm and cozy decor would’ve been extremely welcoming and comfortable, and students could have easily gotten creative with layering cute cardigans and sweaters over their formalwear or wearing long sleeves. 

Number 1: Sparkle and Shine (2022)

The gorgeous glittery decorations of the 2022 Hol Ball definitely transformed the event into a glamorous party. Students wore their “sparkliest” outfits at this dance, as it was a great opportunity for students to dress according to the theme in sequin dresses and shiny accessories. “Last Hol ball I wore a white jacket with a suede lapel. Like the theme, my shoes were super duper shiny,” said Jordan Dodd ’25. Since it was the first in-person Hol Ball since 2019, the night had an incredible triumphant and celebratory vibe, which brought so much energy and fun to the dance. “I had so much fun. It was a great experience dancing with all my friends,” said Cawthra Burns ’25.

I thoroughly enjoyed my first Hol Bal and cannot wait to experience three more themed winter dances during my time at Choate. Now, it’s time for us all to don some pearls and start celebrating!