For The Love of Hockey With Coach McGee

Photo courtesy of www.choate.edu
Coach Grace McGee fosters team spirit on the field hockey team.

By Gisele Yeung ’27

Coach Grace McGee balances multiple responsibilities on campus. She is the Girls’ Varsity Field Hockey Head Coach and Senior Associate Director of Admissions. In addition, she serves as an adviser and sits on several committees, including the Community Service Advisory.  

Coach McGee grew up in Virginia Beach, Virginia, where the National Field Hockey Team Training Center is located. “As a kid, I had my eyes wide open to a lot of high level play, and I just loved the sport,” she said. 

She played throughout middle school and high school, winning the National Field Hockey Festival with her club team in high school. 

As a recruited athlete and team captain at Washington and Lee University, Coach McGee played midfield and defense and was recognized as a scholar athlete and Most Valued Player for the defensive side of her team. One of her proudest moments was successfully shooting a stroke (penalty shot) in college. 

“It’s a high pressure situation, and as a defender and midfielder, [I] don’t have as many shooting opportunities, so that was pretty awesome,” she said. 

After college, Coach McGee did color commentary, providing analysis and background information for collegiate field hockey games. She trained as a coach with the U.S.A. Field Hockey Coach Education and Learning Program, and officially began coaching when she came to Choate in 2015. 

Last summer, Coach McGee competed in a National Adult Club League tournament. “I really didn’t want to let field hockey out of my life,” she said, “so I did a lot of different things to try to stay engaged in this sport.”

On the field at Choate, Coach McGee emphasizes communication. “We talk about exactly what kind of words to use. We set norms within the team about how we’re going to talk to each other, which has to do with providing positive words and constructive feedback,” she explained. 

Girls’ Varsity Field Hockey member Cora Slowe ’26 appreciates Coach McGee’s steadfast support. Once, in the middle of a game, Slowe’s stick split down the side. “She helped me get a stick from the X [Worthington Johnson Athletics Center] in lightning speed,” she said. “She was really there for me because I was a little panicked.” 

Co-Captain Bladen Hawthornthwaite ’24 has known Coach McGee for four years. “She’s pushed my physical and mental limits to places I never thought I’d go before,” she said. “She taught me the extent to which I can push myself, and you can’t always see that without another person.”

Coach McGee takes great pride in helping players grow through sports. “Sports are fun. It’s a joy and a way to represent the school. It’s leadership and strength, which is a big thing, especially for female athletes,” she said. “There’s a sense of pride that comes with being part of the growth trajectory of each athlete.”