My Ultimate Ranking: Choate English Books

Graphic by Maddy Childs ’26/The Choate News
Graphic by Junho Lee ’24/The Choate News

For the past three years that I’ve been at Choate, I didn’t have to, but rather got to (kudos to Ms. Jenny Elliott and Mr. Will Gilyard!) engage with a variety of English literature, including an array of novels, plays, and poems. I would like to preface my ranking of the top five books I’ve read for class (from worst to best) by saying that this ranking is based solely on my humble opinion. 

#5. A Not-So-Good Ol’ Shakespeare: Macbeth

In my sophomore winter  — one of the toughest terms at Choate — I got hit with Macbeth. It was a tragedy, so it’s no wonder  I’m ranking this book at the bottom of my list. A dark and gory play, Macbeth explores reality, delusion, greed, and the effect of guilt on one’s mind. While it is a great book to inspire thought about the destructiveness of basic human desires, I feel there are better ways to learn those life lessons without having to memorize 20 lines of the play. After going through this experience, I would never voluntarily read  Shakespeare ever again. 

#4. Choate’s Most Underrated Go-To: Genesis

One of the most underrated books in literature, Genesis is the first book of the Old Testament in the Bible and a sacred text for the Judeo/Christian religions. Although primarily written for religious purposes, Genesis has standalone value as both a piece of writing and as a fundamental piece of work in Western literature. Many stories and characters in Genesis have been used as symbols and metaphors throughout literary history, so an apt understanding of these biblical allusions make for a better grasp of western texts as a whole. 

#3. A Web of Love Affairs: The Great Gatsby

Often associated with the American Dream and Leonardo DiCaprio, The Great Gatsby follows the wealthy and extravagant Jay Gatsby and his love for Daisy Buchanan. I enjoyed this book tremendously because there were so many mysteries and symbols to unravel throughout the chapters. The last sentence of the book, “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past,” particularly inspired me; it beautifully expresses the limits of human ability and the irreversible nature of time.

#2. A Novel I Could Relate To: Everything I Never Told You

Everything I Never Told You, the debut novel of Celeste Ng, topped Amazon’s Best Books of the Year list for 2014. The novel follows a mixed-race Chinese-American family that endures generational struggles as they find their place in an American community. Ng excelled at portraying how race and identity can affect one’s life, and she wrote about hardships that I could relate to as an international student. The book further explores themes of child development and its significance, so if you aren’t sure where to apply your Intro to Psychology knowledge other than on the AP exam, this book is for you. 

#1.  The G.O.A.T of Choate English: The Odyssey

Graphic by Amelia Sipkin ’25/The Choate News

Written by the ancient Greek poet Homer, The Odyssey is an epic that details Odysseus’ ten-year journey back home after the Trojan War. Although it is incredibly lengthy, which may intimidate readers who are not big fans of poems, I believe The Odyssey is the best book for freshmen students kicking off their Choate careers. The story is about embarking on a journey, which mirrors how freshmen begin their new journeys at Choate as they tackle this epic in their English classes. After finishing The Odyssey, I remember my English teacher Mr. David Loeb saying, “It’s all about the journey, not the destination.” Looking back as a junior, I see clearly now the value of this mindset as I embark on the odyssey of my own life. 

All in all, my experience with Choate English has had its ups and downs, but in pitting these books against each other, I’ve had a chance to evaluate and reflect on what I’ve learned from each piece of literature. Some tough decisions had to be made, but, after much thought, I have concluded that The Odyssey is my top choice without a doubt. Hopefully, the books I read in my senior English electives will take top spots in next year’s ranking.