Lapping the Pool With Layden

Photo courtesy of Victoria Layden ’24 
Victoria Layden ’24 dives into the pool at New Englands.
Photo courtesy of Mr. Nolan Silbernagel
Layden and Head Coach Mr. Nolan Silbernagel at New Englands.

Victoria Layden ’24 made Choate history when she stopped the clock at 56.89 seconds in the 100 Backstroke race at the Founders League Championship, breaking the school record  previously set in 1988. In addition to placing second in the event, the Choate Girls’ Swimming Co-Captain also took first place in the 100 Freestyle, making valuable contributions to the team’s second place finish. 

Layden began swimming 10 years ago, following in her brother’s footsteps. She started with recreational leagues and now trains with the Choate swim team during the winter term and with her club team the remainder of the year. “I swim six days a week. Through the weekdays, the practices are two hours, and, on weekends, practices are three hours — we mix in some dryland and strength training outside of the water,” Layden said of her year-round training. 

This past swim season, a group of supportive teammates and coaches guided Layden through the season. “I definitely struggle with pre-race anxiety and anxiety before I swim, but I would just say that swimming with the Choate team has made it a lot more fun. The supportive community and the atmosphere that the Choate community fosters just helps me a lot,” Layden said. 

In swimming’s intense training environment, athletes sometimes struggle to stay motivated. “I’ve been swimming for so long now that it feels like home to me; I am so passionate about it, and I want to swim in college, so that definitely keeps me motivated,” Layden said, “but I also just love the sport — the lessons that it’s taught me.” Through swimming, Layden has learned to manage her time more efficiently and confront the inevitable losses that accompany her successful career.   

Layden’s positive mindset keeps her grounded as she continues her swimming journey and prepares for her final swim season at Choate next year. “I’ve had a blast swimming at Choate and being a part of the swim team … it’s brought a whole new sense of joy to the sport for me,” Layden reflected.