Post-Graduate Life At Choate

Graphic by Maddy Childs ’26/The Choate News

What do you think of when you hear the word “postgraduate” or, more commonly, “PG?” Amazing student-athlete? Intimidating? Old? Three postgraduates (PGs) reveal the inside scoop of being a PG at Choate.

Ben Taylor ’23

Despite already receiving university offers, Ben Taylor ’23’s desire to pursue higher-level academics pushed him to take on a PG year at Choate.

The transition from going to a public school to attending a boarding school like Choate was “odd but easy” for Taylor, despite the differences between the two. He shared, “I think the environment at the School [Choate] makes it easy for new students because people are recycling through, and it’s not like huge groups of people have been cemented for a long time.” Since Taylor wasn’t the only new student on campus this past fall, Taylor could form friendships and familiarize himself with the rest of his grade more quickly and comfortably.

Taylor shared that he feels very much involved and connected to his peers in the Class of 2023. He said, “The fact that we all live together and that all the dorms are interwoven makes us not very different.” He also believes that many PGs share the same academic pressures as other seniors, contrary to popular belief. “A good number of PGs are taking the regular class load of any senior, especially the ones who are looking for higher education schools and want to maintain their academic profile.”

Although he appreciates being “a point of advice for general questions” and sharing his prior experiences with college applications and the recruiting process with friends and other seniors, Taylor regrets not being able to have more time on campus. He recently signed with Brown University and is excited to pursue football at the Division I school level.

Allie Grant-Clavijo ’23

An international student from Canada, Allie Grant-Clavijo ’23, was deeply impacted by the pandemic when it prevented her from being seen by college coaches. To help further her soccer career, Grant-Clavijo decided to come to Choate. “I wanted to play at this great school, first of all, and I wanted to be seen by college coaches.”

Adjusting to her new routine at a boarding school was a challenge at first, but Grant-Clavijo’s dean, adviser, and teammates on the soccer team all helped make her transition smoother and more manageable. “I didn’t know a lot of people, but after a couple of practices, the girls on the team were super welcoming and created a really nice environment.” Although she can no longer see her teammates and practice with them every day as she had during the soccer season, Grant-Clavijo still cherishes and relies on those friendships she made during the fall term.

Grant-Clavijo pointed out the emphasis on college applications and recruitment when defining differences between being a regular four-year student and a PG. With this being her final year of high school, much of Grant-Clavijo’s focus has been on the college process, and she has often looked to her college counselor for guidance. “My college counselor has been really supportive, and she’s trying to help me the best she can. She knows that it’s my last year in high school and deadlines are coming up soon,” she said.

Grant-Clavijo has enjoyed many of the small perks of being a PG, such as having the freedom to use so many of the different spaces on campus during study hours, upon arrival at Choate. Still, the extra time to focus on getting the most out of Choate and preparing for college is most valuable to her. “I don’t feel rushed. I can take a couple of extra courses and choose ones that I like as well. Soccer-wise, I got an extra year of playing to prepare myself, so that’s nice.”

Similarly, Grant-Clavijo appreciates how college coaches value and notice her contributions to the Girls’ Varsity Soccer Team. Since high schools back home in Canada didn’t prioritize athletics, Grant-Clavijo’s focus was on her club team. Here at Choate, she can play her sport on campus and have a school soccer season that benefits her future.

For Grant-Clavijo, her PG year is invaluable for both her academic and athletic development, and she thoroughly appreciates all the opportunities she has received at Choate.

Grant Masterson ’23

Having already committed to play lacrosse at The United States Military Academy (West Point), Grant Masterson ’23 chose to pursue a PG year at the request of his college. Drawn to the School’s strong lacrosse program and famed academic record, Masterson chose Choate as his new home away from home. “I knew I had to take a PG year, so I was just looking for a good home for this one-year period.”

Like all new students, Masterson was initially nervous about transferring to a new school. He commented, “You grow up with kids from your high school your entire life back in your town, but it’s not the same here.” 

However, Choate’s efforts to welcome him to the community made it much easier for him to find his place in the School. “From the beginning, Choate worked on icebreaker games during orientation, and I made a lot of new friends there. It was a pretty easy transition overall.” Similarly to Grant-Clavijo, being on a sports team also helped Masterson settle into his new role as a boarding student and grow closer to other students.

Since many other seniors are of similar ages to him and share his experience of being a repeat, Masterson doesn’t feel that his experience differs much from that of the rest of his class; however, he does think that his familiarity with the high school journey has given him a clearer, more mature perspective and decreased  academic pressure. “Choate is still a very hard environment, academically, but I think it’s a little less stressful for me than other seniors or juniors.” 

Having heard many stories about his friends’ past years at Choate, Masterson is glad to have missed out on early freshman-year study hours. “I don’t have any FOMO from earlier years here. I think it’s nice to be a PG,” he shared.

Although Taylor, Grant-Clavijo, and Masterson each decided to take on a PG year at Choate for a different reason, all three have immensely enjoyed the opportunities, people, and resources at the School. They appreciate Choate’s efforts in welcoming them to the community and love the perks of being a first-year senior. One key takeaway is that having to leave one’s phone in the hallway during study hours is not something they will ever regret missing out on.