World Cup Unifies Choate Community

The 2022 World Cup season was a thrilling time to be at Choate. Clusters of students watched games all over campus, whether on big screens in Lanphier Cafe and the Bay Room, or on laptops and iPads in the dining hall and dorm rooms. People would settle down on the blue and orange couches in the Student Activity Center’s Main Activity Space, only to find themselves back on their feet in no time, cheering wildly or shouting in frustration. 

Juan Delgado ’26, who enjoyed streaming games with the projector in the Bay Room, reflected on watching the games during winterlude on campus. He appreciated seeing his friends’ reactions to certain plays. “I really liked watching the games with other people, because that way it is more interesting,” he said. “I liked the environment around campus.” 

Although Charlotte Flynn ’25 did not closely track the games, she remembered everyone’s attitudes being heavily impacted by their results. “The environment was very rowdy. I don’t follow [the World Cup], but I definitely was clued in by all of the cheering,” she said. 

A faithful supporter of both Ghana and England, Amanda Benneh ’24 thought the World Cup brought refreshing energy and positivity to the School. “The World Cup was a time where many people’s backgrounds and cultures came together as they supported their teams,” she said.

Benneh also recalled a heartwarming sense of togetherness. “I felt like many friendships formed around discussions about the World Cup and recent games,” she shared. The outcomes of each game wove its way into almost every casual conversation, creating a common topic that united the whole Choate community. 

Even those who had no original interest in the sport felt encouraged to get involved. “I was never really interested in soccer before the World Cup, but since everyone else was so into it, I figured I would do some research,” said Lilli Goldman ’25. “Now, I might watch more soccer games in the future.” 

Passion for the World Cup created a common ground that brought the community closer together. With students and faculty from across the globe, the Choate community collectively rooted for many different countries. Despite supporting different teams and having varying levels of interest in soccer, the community’s shared passion for the World Cup brought a new sense of excitement that united the student body. 

Students gather at the dining hall to watch the games. Photos by Zora deRham ’23/The Choate News