Sachi Mehra ’23 Makes Varsity Football History

Photo courtesy of Choate Flickr 
Sachi making history as she catches the ball.

Playing football has always been a dream for Sachi Mehra ’23. Her life forever changed while watching a Nickelodeon show one day in the fourth grade. She saw a girl playing football on the television screen and instantly became inspired to try it herself. This dream was, unfortunately, put on hold due to the absence of a team at her middle school. Her passion for football reignited during her sophomore year at Choate during the annual Girls’ Powderpuff Flag Football Tournament. After the event, Mehra learned from a team manager that Varsity Football was open to all genders. During the summer before junior year, she spent every day convincing her parents to allow her to play such a high-contact sport. Despite her only playing experience being at games during recess with her friends, she emailed Varsity Football Head Coach Lawrence Spinatto and was soon confirmed to play for Team 122. 

When asked about the most significant challenge she has faced while playing football, Mehra shared that aside from the size difference and physical aspects of the game, it was finding a sense of belonging on the team. Fortunately, her confidence grew after observing the fellowship of the squad. “My favorite part is the family aspect of football and feeling really supported throughout my whole journey. I stopped questioning why I was on the team and never felt excluded. Even though I hadn’t gotten on the field for varsity games, I liked seeing my teammates get so excited and play with such love for the game.” Her hard work and intense determination during practices paid off in Choate’s game against Kent on October 1. 

Late in the fourth quarter, with a significant lead built up, the coaches called for number 87 on the sidelines. Mehra had been waiting for this moment and rushed onto the field with the offense. On her first drive, the play was called: a screen pass designed for her; however, she dropped the pass due to an awkward release from the quarterback and light reflecting in her eyes. After the incompletion, the offense was forced to punt. When recounting the events of the drive, her immediate reaction was frustration. “This was my one opportunity, and I wasted it,” said Mehra. Nevertheless, with the encouragement of her teammates, she rallied her spirits and readied herself for another opportunity. 

That opportunity came on the second-to-last play of the game. A screen pass was designed for Mehra once again, this time she seized the moment. Although she described the play as a blur, she recounted “seeing the ball and catching the ball” before getting tackled by the Kent safety.

Mehra made history on this play by becoming the first woman to ever log a reception in a game for Choate Varsity Football. When asked about the accomplishment, Mehra shared, “It wasn’t until seeing the pictures on Sunday that I processed what had happened. I think the coaches were happier than I was at that moment. Coach Spinn knows how much I put into it and how much I love it.” In catching that screen pass, Sachi Mehra not only lived her dream but made her mark in Choate history.