No-Homework Policy Expanded for Religious Holidays

As a non-denominational school that prides itself on the diversity of students’ backgrounds, Choate has begun to reform many of its policies in the interest of respecting the many cultural and religious practices of students. 

According to the administration, new changes were necessary in order to highlight the importance of recognizing that students have different religious practices and require special accommodations to   celebrate their culture. One such way of respecting cultural observances was by introducing a no-homework policy for religious holidays. 

In the past, Choate’s schedule for breaks revolved primarily around traditional Christian holidays, making it difficult for students from other religious backgrounds to celebrate their traditions and observe their religious practices. While students could be excused from classes and extracurricular commitments to observe a holiday, keeping pace with schoolwork still proved to be a challenge for many. 

Over the course of the year, Director of Spiritual Life Rev. Aaron Rathbun, Dean of Equity and Inclusion Dr. Rachel Myers, and Director of Studies Ms. Ellen Devine worked together to propose a new policy that grants students the time they need to participate in religious practices. The Spiritual Life Team hopes that students will feel more comfortable expressing their religious needs to the community. 

Ms. Devine shared, “I hope [the new policy] eases some of the stress and strain experienced by students observing holidays while school is in session, and I also hope that the policy encourages non-observing students to participate in and embrace the many opportunities to learn about different faith traditions.”

Religion is just as much a part of some students’ identity as race or gender, making spiritual life an integral component of equity and inclusion. “For people who fall under these traditions, it’s a part of our identity that is important to respect, honor, and appreciate. It means to be part of the community — a global, international, cosmopolitan community,” said Rev. Rathbun.

While the policy was originally proposed last year by Rev. Rathbun and Dr. Myers, it was too late in the school year to make any changes to the school policy at the time. With the help of Ms. Devine, the policy was officially implemented into the School Handbook at the beginning of this school year. 

Through the implementation of this policy, the Administration and Spiritual Life Team ultimately hope to alleviate stress from students balancing religious practices and schoolwork and commitments. 

“The homework restrictions around major religious holidays are an attempt to acknowledge the holiday, lessen the amount of work observing students need to make up, and to free those students not observing the holiday to attend and enjoy the wonderful, inclusive programming put on by our fantastic team in Spiritual Life and all the student groups that collaborate with them,” noted Ms. Devine. 

Since its implementation, the policy has proved to be a huge success. For example, Rev. Rathbun highlighted the impressive size of the Rosh Hashanah dinner that was hosted by the School to celebrate the holiday earlier this year. 

In response to this new policy, the majority of the student body has expressed gratitude, reflecting upon the benefits of the policy. For example, Tav Assaf ’24, who celebrates Yom Kippur, a Jewish holiday, used to take the day off from school in order to engage in traditions and practices; however, missing the day of classes also  meant he had to stay up late to catch up on work. He shared, “Without the burden of homework, [the new policy] allows me to be with my family more and be more stress-free.”

Other students echoed this sentiment. Aria Ramnath ’24 who participates in Hindu traditions, shared, “I think it will definitely help me celebrate my faith when Diwali comes around because I won’t be having to worry about getting in an essay before the due date while also worrying about religious commitments at the same time, so I now really have time to freely indulge in my culture.”

For many religious holidays, the practice to rest and celebrate, and not participate in schoolwork is important and is in line with the new school policy. Judah Brecher ’25, who celebrates Jewish traditions, said, “As someone who has part of that religious background, it definitely was difficult because I’m not going to skip classes, and I don’t want to get behind. It’s difficult because once sundown happens, you’re intentionally not supposed to work.” 

Although the policy addresses some of the challenges students observing non-Christian religious holidays encounter, members of the community note that improvements can be made. For instance, Brecher shared, “I would like for it to be no school because it puts Jewish students in a difficult position. I had my parents telling me I really should not go to classes and that my siblings who are in other schools aren’t going to classes, but it puts me at a difficult place because I don’t want to get behind.” 

As Choate continues to strive to foster a community with equity, diversity, and inclusion, this policy marks a major step towards recognizing and respecting the different religious backgrounds of the school.

Graphic by Yujin Kim ’23 /The Choate News