A Positive Change: New Uniforms for Girls’ Field Hockey and Lacrosse

Graphic by Yujin Kim ’23/The Choate News

Starting this year, students playing Girls’ Field Hockey and Lacrosse can swap out their traditionally worn skirt uniforms for athletic shorts. In the past, some players in these sports have found wearing skirts to be an antiquated practice, leaving them feeling exposed and having their mobility restricted. Consequently, players raised their concerns about the issue, wanting their voices to be heard.

One of the players with these concerns was Asher Ciardiello ’24, who first brought this issue to members of the equipment room. When asked about the issue, Ciardiello said, “Well, I personally think that wearing a skirt while playing a sport is kind of restrictive at times, and when I was talking to the girls on my team about this issue, a lot of them completely agreed. They felt exposed and that it wasn’t what they wanted to wear.”

After getting consensus from the team, Ciardello decided to take action: “I went to talk to Justin (Mr. Whittaker, the Head Equipment Manager and Assistant Coordinator of Athletic Operations), and I was like, ‘hey, this is an issue we need to fix’ … and once I explained it to him he was completely on board.”

On the topic of Ciardiello’s suggestion, Mr. Whittaker shared,  “they [Ciardiello] had listed some concerns that individuals had about wearing skirts as opposed to shorts, and we had that conversation. I spoke with the coaches, and everybody seemed to be on board. We were able to offer any athlete in Field Hockey or Lacrosse the option to pick either a skirt or shorts for their uniform.” When Elisabeth Hargett ’25 was asked about this change, she said, “I think it shows how much the School values inclusivity and allows their players to express themselves because I know a couple of people were insecure.” 

Furthermore, Mr. Whittaker said this change may be implemented beyond Choate. “If you look at programs across the country, they’re starting to move in that short direction… I think you’ll start to see shorts become the main bottom option for Field Hockey or Lacrosse players.” 

But, this isn’t just about uniform changes. Instead, it’s about supporting athletes first. In celebrating the 50th year of the landmark Title IX law, preventing discrimination based on sex in sports, this change encapsulates what Title IX is all about: equity. Although women in sports often don’t garner the respect they deserve, providing this choice is “a good step in the right direction,” according to Hargett.

Ciardello said, “I specifically did this, so we have the option … I fully believe that whatever you’re comfortable in is what is most important.” 

While this  change may only affect those playing Girls’ Field Hockey and Girls’ Lacrosse, this shift is a fundamental step in creating a more inclusive athletic environment at Choate. The courage Ciardiello displayed in noticing a problem and taking steps to fix that problem with members of the equipment staff shows that through determination and collaboration,  members of the Choate community can listen to each other and promote positive change.