Why Choate? Veteran Faculty Have a Lot to Say

To some students, their four-year-long high school career, characterized by sleepless nights and bitter coffee, just doesn’t seem to pass by quickly enough. Yet, to the faculty with decades-long Choate careers, four years is nothing more than a breeze.

Their first impressions of the School certainly contributed to the dedication of these faculty members. “Once I got into that classroom for the first time [in 1987], I knew that this was what I’ve always been meant to do,” said third-form dean and English teacher Ms. Nancy Miller. 

Ms. Fran O’Donoghue, who has been a science teacher since 1984, also credits her multi-decade passion for teaching to her first few years on campus. “It was so cool to be teaching and have these students want to learn and just watching the smiles on their faces when they got it … It was addictive; it was just so pleasant all the time,” she said. Her newfound perspective of being a teacher quickly changed her original decision to stay at Choate for only two years before leaving to pursue a medical school education. 

Ms. Amy Salot, an English and history teacher who started her Choate career in 1986, also emphasized the importance of her early experience at the School. She credits her love for Choate to her colleagues and the School’s support. “I definitely had the sense that Choate was among the best in terms of the resources and support that they give to faculty members,” she said. “I also love my colleagues. They are so vibrant and interesting, and they just love teaching, and that just feels great.”

On the other hand, Mr. John Cobb, who began his Choate career in the English department in 1988, made the decision to stay at Choate to remain close to his family. “My parents lived in Hartford for many years; my mom still does. I have brothers and sisters that live around, and so it was convenient for those things,” he explained. “Once [my wife and I] got married and started raising a family, [Choate] was a terrific place to do that.”

Having family close by was equally important to Ms. Miller when she decided to remain at Choate, though in a different way. “About six years ago, I lost my husband, and my children are adults, so they don’t live at home. So, in many ways, Choate has become my family … the School has become a lot like a home,” she voiced.

Throughout their years at Choate, these teachers have forged unforgettable memories and experiences that have only fueled their heartfelt love for the School. For example, Ms. O’Donoghue initiated the tradition of hosting a cookout for faculty on the night of graduation, an idea sparked by the sudden revelation that the dining hall would no longer be open once the students departed campus. While it started as a small gathering for the first-year teachers standing together at the very end of the line during graduation, Ms. O’Donoghue realized over the years that she was inviting everyone: “It became a huge cookout for the whole faculty … and we have this big barbecue, and it’s a blast.” This fun get-together has an equally sweet and cherished behind-the-scenes significance for Ms. O’Donoghue. “It’s kind of funny because you might think, ‘Oh, but the students are gone,’ but it’s a celebration of our year, like, ‘We did it; we made it through another year; we graduated another group of students, and everything is wonderful,’” she said.

Apart from teaching, most faculty members who stayed at Choate for more than 30 years have also taken part in the Dean’s Office. Ms. Salot, the Form Dean for the Class of 1999 and Class of 2002 and later the Associate Dean of Students and Director of Residential Life, said, “I really enjoyed it because that’s the living, breathing heart of this school. I’m not a big policy wonk or pedagogical philosopher — I just like kids. I like spending time with kids, and I like helping them to grow, and so being in the Dean’s office felt like a good place for me.”

Ultimately, a multitude of reasons – convenience, love for teaching, and the support and resources from the School – motivated many of the faculty members on campus to continue their Choate careers while still creating new memories. Choate is no longer just a workplace but has rather become a home, a family, and a symbol of pleasant memories.