Which Free Period Reigns Supreme?

Graphic By Brian Yip ’24/ The Choate News

Even though I am just a freshman, and a day student at that, I feel as though I have become well acquainted with the Choate schedule in my short time here. I’ve only had three free blocks, A, B, and C, but I have quickly learned that some are much better than others. Through in-depth analysis, I’ve concluded that A-block is by far, the best free to have. 

For me, there are two main factors that influence whether or not a free period is ideal. Firstly, a sleep-in. Especially as a day student with a thirty-minute commute, one extra sleep-in can make a tiring week much more bearable. Secondly, I find a block during lunch to be very convenient. There is one unfortunate free block, that does not align with any of these criterium: B. As someone who has had this disastrous free during spring term and winter term, I can confidently say that there is nothing good about it. Other than the early out on Thursday, B-block appears during the middle of the day, making it a good time to get ahead on work, but useful for little else. 

Tied for fifth place are G and D. The former has a block during lunch on Tuesdays, and the latter gives one time to prepare before games on Wednesdays. Fourth place is not much better, with E-block coming in just above the previous two. Even though E-block does fulfill my criteria of having a sleep-in and a lunch block, that sleep-in kind of feels wasted on a Wednesday when the day is already very short. 

Coming in a close third is C. Unlike E-block, C-block has a sleep-in on Friday and a lunch block on Monday. Additionally, C-block comes directly before the form meeting block on Wednesdays, so on the coveted weeks without any commitments during this time, one gets a two-hour free period before their next class. Though I am a bit biased, because it’s the only consistent free I have had this year, C is a block with high potential for productivity and relaxation.

F-block takes the second place spot with two sleep-ins every week. Though some may put it first, the double sleep-in on Thursday would make me, like many other Choate students, feel too lazy to get any sufficient amount of work done. 

Just beating out F-block is A. I had A-block free during the fall term, and I can assure you that it is full of benefits. To start off the week, A-block provides you with a luxurious Monday morning sleep-in that we can all agree is the envy of those who do not have it. Though it might not be an extremely productive time, it’s a great privilege to be able to wake up on Monday and get a good breakfast before your week really begins. Then, on Tuesdays, you get an early-out which can be used however you prefer; personally, I found it a great time to take a breather before practice. Finally, A-block gives you an extended lunch period during burger Thursdays, ensuring that you’re at the front of the line. 

Though this is a debate amongst students that will perhaps never be settled, I think we can all agree on one thing; B is by far the worst free to have. 

– Eva Swanson ’25

What I love about free periods is that they can be whatever you make them — a time to relax, to see your friends, or maybe get ahead on your work. I think every member of the Choate community, students and faculty alike, can agree that free blocks are needed and appreciated; however, all free blocks are not created equally. Simply put, some blocks are great to have as frees while some are not. So, which free block is the best? Which 70 minute respite from the school day has the most perks and advantages.

It’s easy to slim down the list right off the bat. In my opinion, the best free blocks are the three Wednesday blocks: E-block, C-block, and D-block. If you have one of these blocks as a free, you only have two classes on Wednesday, making the half-day even shorter and allowing for more time to complete work or schedule meetings. The Wednesday schedule is also home to the form-meeting block, which occurs maximally twice a month, meaning that a Wednesday free provides for even more free time and flexibility throughout the day. 

Out of those three blocks, C-block undoubtedly reigns supreme. It has everything students want and need in a free block. A two-hour free block on Mondays, sandwiched between conference and lunch? Yes! Two classes and an extended break before form meetings on Wednesdays? Guaranteed. A glorious sleep-in on Friday? Definitely! On top of all of that, C-Block is spaced evenly   throughout the week on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, making it useful regardless of the various committements of your extracurricular schedule. 

Firstly, if you have C-block free on Monday, you get a two-hour free block. Once you add conference block, C-block itself, and lunch, you get a pretty long period to do work or just relax. Especially transitioning back to school from the weekend, having C-block free on Monday is a nice midday checkpoint to help you get back into the school-week mentality. Since C-block is in the middle of the day on Monday, it’s easier for me to stay focused, and as I am more reliably productive. I prefer early-morning or midday free blocks because when I have an early out, a free block at the end of the day, it’s harder for me to find the motivation to get my work done. 

Next, if you have C-block free on Wednesday, you only have two classes! Not only that, but C-block is right before the extra meeting block; therefore, if you don’t have any meetings to attend, you can end up with a free block that is two hours and thirty minutes long. For those that have sports, this is a convenient time to make sure you have time to eat breakfast and prepare anything you need before your game later that day.  

Lastly, if you have C-block free on Friday, you get a sleep-in! Personally, however, I don’t usually use this block to sleep in; I prefer to use it for early morning studying. I find that I’m most attentive in the morning, so studying in the morning helps me remember the material better. Especially as a day student, it’s nice to be able to come to campus at a normal time, but be able to eat a good breakfast before class. I usually have assessments on Fridays, so this early morning block gives me some extra time to review. 

I will leave you with this conclusion: C-block is the best free block to have. It’s clear that having C-block free comes with its advantages, and while other blocks have their pros and cons, none are as useful as C. 

– Teniola Obayomi ’25