Saif Nazer: Choate’s Sports Videographer

Photo courtesy of Saif Nazer

Whether at a football game or at an off-season basketball practice, Saif Nazer ’23 can be found on  the sidelines, capturing the action with his camera. 

Nazer discovered his passion for videography in the fall of his sophomore year after receiving a camera for his birthday, though it wasn’t until a few months later that he fully realized his interest in the art. At first, Nazer admitted to lacking a particular “passion” for photography. His boredom with taking conventional photos eventually led to his exploration and love of film — a change he would have never anticipated a year ago. Videography gave Nazer “the freedom to make [content] with…zero creative restrictions.” As a primarily self-taught filmmaker, Nazer’s exploration has been one of the joys of his journey. 

“I don’t think anything beats the feeling of scoring a goal or winning a trophy,” Nazer said. “[But] getting a great video of that moment feels almost as good.” He tries to focus on every aspect of sports videography, capturing not only highlight plays but funny moments and rituals between players. After a big game, Nazer appreciates seeing the players’ reactions to his work — in fact, he credits his friends for convincing him to pursue his passion at school.

Although he is currently focusing on the football team, Nazer considers no single sport as his specialty. Nazer’s experience ranges from clothing brand advertisements to cinematic sports recruiting videos, but he is always engaging in new experiences that will broaden his skill set. In his videos of the football team, Nazer utilizes these skills in hopes to highlight the energy of each play. While Nazer may miss the feeling of playing on the field, he said that by spending time at practices and games with the Choate football team, he shares the joy after a win and the same somber mood following a loss. This term, he is also working on a longer term project: a documentary about the Choate football team. 

With his work on the field this fall, Nazer hopes to inspire budding photographers and videographers. His key piece of advice: focus on your mindset. “[You] will inevitably face challenges,” he said. “All it takes to overcome them is hard work.” Reflecting on his artistic career, Nazer said, “there have been times where I doubted myself, but I kept working. It has almost been a year since I got my first camera, and I could not be happier that I never quit filming.”