Day Students Reflect on Their New Boarding Life

Photo by Jessica Wu/The Choate News

On the weekend of January 29, Choate welcomed students back to campus for the hybrid portion of winter term. However, due to rising public health concerns, the Choate administration implemented a boarding-only model. Since many boarding students decided not to return to campus this term, dorms were able to accommodate day students as interim boarders.

More than 130 day students decided to become boarders this term and to attend in-person classes. Kaya Tray ’24, who is enjoying her experience as a boarding student so far, said, “I am currently living in Squire, rooming with one of my closest friends.” She added, “Everything has gone smoothly.” Portia Chung ’24, another day student-cum-boarder, added, “Mostly, it’s been nice to spend more time with my friends.”

For other day students, the transition into boarding life has been, at least in part, challenging. Benjamin Wable ’23, a day student now boarding in Logan Monroe, felt that the first week was “a roller coaster, to say the least. From adjusting to the dorm lifestyle to eating new foods, my experience has been different than my life at home.” He added, “This is the first time I am away from my family for an extended period, and I already miss them!”

Sarina Kapoor ’21 reflected, “This first week has been a huge adjustment for me, but it has also been really rewarding so far. It’s been a lot of fun.” Kapoor also shifted from being a day student prefect to a boarding prefect in Bernhard House for the remainder of this term, taking on the greater number of commitments that come with the role.

Another adjustment some day students are facing in their boarding experience is new limits to their freedom. Sophia Zhang ’23, a day student boarding in Bernhard House, recalls the freedom she enjoyed at home. “I don’t like how we have rules like ‘lights out’ and ‘be in the dorm by 7:30 p.m.,’” she said.

Chiara Vessicchio ’22, who is now boarding in Hall, said, “It took a few days to adjust to this new lifestyle, but the dorm has provided a great atmosphere to do so.” She added, “Quarantine has made things a bit challenging, especially with food, and I’ve had some trouble learning all the rules and regulations that I wouldn’t normally have thought about as a day student.”

The arrival of day students has increased the membership of some dorms and also brought some changes for boarding students. Lauren Hsu ’24, a boarder in Nichols, said, “I’d say the dorm dynamic has gotten better. It’s been good to meet new people. It’s actually refreshing in a way.”

Laura Jiang ’21, a prefect in Nichols who now has 20 girls on her floor, said it “is crazy at times but definitely high-energy and a lot of fun.”

After welcoming four new day students into the dorm, Squire is now at capacity with 11 girls. The dorm’s Head of House, Ms. Jenn Pelletier, said, “I enjoy seeing new faces and seeing the girls make new friends.”

Many day students have  expressed gratitude for the chance to experience life as a boarding student for at least a part of their high-school experience. Interim boarding prefect in Bernhard House Page Wildridge ’21 said, “I’m honestly just happy we got this opportunity, especially as seniors.”