An Athlete’s guide to music

Graphic by Rose Shen/The Choate News

Every Choate student has a unique way of exercising and competing, but almost all of these routines share one important piece: the workout playlist. Whether they have rap, smooth jazz, country classics, or a mix of all three, each playlist is different, and many students and teams have distinct playlists corresponding to their workouts. 

Boys’ Varsity Basketball player Owen Hathaway-Hacker ’22, for example, has a different playlist for each body-specific exercise. He said, “On leg day, I play strictly rap, but on days where I hit upper body, I like to keep it mellow with some classic rock, like Led Zeppelin’s ‘Stairway to Heaven.’” Hathaway-Hacker explained that he enjoys working out his legs with rap for some extra motivation, but when it comes to other body parts, such as chest and biceps, he does not need the stimulation.  

Besides the motivation accompanying different music, the rhythm and lyrics of a song can determine the level of intensity with which someone plays. Girls’ Varsity Squash player Nina Hashmi ’22 said, “When we just hit back and forth for some chill practice, I always turn on my pop throwbacks playlist. My teammates and I love to listen to classic artists like Taylor Swift and Avicii during these calmer, less competitive times. However, when we are playing highly competitive matchups, we turn on Pop Smoke to get the energy up.” 

Music does not just play an important role during workouts and games, but also for those moments prior to athletic performances. Pre-game music can help an athlete compete in the right headspace. Boys’ Varsity Football player Matt Buron ’22 said, “My pre-game playlist is essential to my routine. The power of the mind is underrated in sports, and I strongly believe that if I get my mind right, I will play at a much higher level, and this starts by locking in with some quality music.” 

Buron understands that though his body is prepared to compete at a high level, his countless hours of hard work will ultimately be wasted if his mind is not also ready.

Music can empower, prepare, and motivate athletes, and the right tunes can only improve their performances.