New Year, New Goals

By now, we’ve all heard in countless emails about how “unprecedented and uncertain” this year has become. Students and teachers have endured months of online learning, and when we do eventually return to campus, it will still be far from the quintessential Choate experience we have come to know and love. Nevertheless, students are hopeful of the untapped possibilities in this school year and dream of what they may accomplish. Some students shared the items on their bucket list for this year. When those featured in this article are interviewed again next May, hopefully they will have accomplished their goals and more!

Noah McBride ’23: 

“Make it to 2021. I want to finish a couple chapters of my book. With so much time on my hands, it’s probably the best time for me to work.”

Bruce Dubel ’22:

“This year, I have three goals. 1: Learn to ride a unicycle. 2: Solve a Rubik’s cube in under 10 seconds. 3: Build my own PC.”

Shawn Yang ’24:

“Three goals I have for this year are to work on my time management and procrastination, not stress myself out too much, and to focus on my mental health more.”

Celine Pirard ’21:

“Ride my knee scooter down the steepest hill on campus. Go on a spur-of-the-moment long weekend trip to NYC (like totally unplanned — I just go). Watch the stars from the science center roof.”

Reagan Bajus ’22: 

“Stargaze on the PMAC roof. Eat everything on the menu at Half Moon. Take a polar plunge in the waterfall.”

Matt Syms ’21:

“I’d like to ring the chapel bells, visit the School’s archives and see the oldest records, walk to the KEC, swim at the waterfall, write an article for The Choate News, and participate in someone’s Last Hurrah ask.”

Zoe Tray ’21: 

“I’d like to build a snowman with my friends on Mem field! I’ve never been able to do that. Bake and decorate cookies in the St. John Hall Kitchen with friends. Find the supposed dark room that exists somewhere on campus to develop photos. Go stargazing with the astronomy club and see planets with the telescope.”

Cassatt Boatwright ’24

“I’m really going to work on going to bed earlier, as I definitely do not sleep enough. Also, I plan to organize my belongings better to improve time management. I want to try and finish a book every week or two this year, improve my drawing skills, and try out for volleyball.”

Joy An ’23:

“My goals for this year are to branch out and try different kinds of dance, meet some of the new students, and make the most of all my classes. I’m also going to try not to let the whole pandemic get me down.” 

Claire Fu ’22:

“My goal is to be that one person who can walk past any tree or plant and be able to state the Latin name of the species without giving it so much as a second thought.” 

In spite of the challenges this year will bring, Choate students will continue to push themselves to achieve their goals. Many of these will be different than normal given the reduced number of feasible extracurriculars and other activities. As our return to campus approaches, the students interviewed all remain committed to achieving their goals, despite the pandemic.