Seniors Respond to Season’s Cancellation

Before students were notified that they would not be returning to campus for the spring term, the Founders League (FL) had already announced to the 11 schools in the league that it had decided unanimously to cancel the spring athletics season on March 16. 

For many seniors who have dedicated the past four years to a sport that they love, this news came as particularly upsetting. Co-captain of Girls’ Varsity Lacrosse Sarah McAndrew ’20, spoke very highly of her team and Choate experience. “I love the lacrosse team so much,” she said, “and I was looking forward to having a great season, especially with a new coach!” 

Unfortunately, the girls will not be able to work with Coach Steven Jewett until next school year. McAndrew said, “I was so ready to play my last season with a great team, and there’s no way for me to get around it.”  

Her co-captain Gina Driscoll ’20 said, “It’s always going to leave me with a sense of unfinished business, but I couldn’t be happier to have spent the past 11 seasons at Choate.”

A Varsity Girls Track senior, Aisha Pasha ‘20, has “been looking forward to senior spring since 2017,” when she had to say goodbye to the seniors who helped shape her third form year. Pasha, although seemingly lost for words at the shock of hearing her season was cancelled, wishes to relay a message to her underform teammates. “Enjoy every moment of your Choate experience- it’s those small and seemingly insignificant moments that I look fondly back on and remind me of all the people that were there with me.”

Captain of Boys’ Varsity Lacrosse Cole Sprinkle ’20 explained his deep sadness for the cancelation of his last season but offered some words of advice for the upcoming team. He encouraged his teammates to “always have a positive attitude in the locker room because it’ll spread to others. Be constructive. Never take a work day for granted, but use your rest days. Lastly, soak it all up day by day because you never know when your last Choate lacrosse game could be.” 

Lizzie Quinn ’20, Girls’ Varsity Crew co-captain, was shocked when she heard the news that her final season at Choate had come to an end before it even began. Quinn had just been sent home in the middle of the crew preseason trip when she received an email from Head of School Dr. Alex Curtis. She said she was upset, and yet, “the full extent of Dr. Curtis’s writing had not yet sunk in.” 

Quinn feels fortunate that her rowing career will continue next year in college, and, she added, “My heart goes out to my fellow seniors in any and all sports that never had a chance to play their last game, leap their last hurdle, row their last stroke or throw their last disc.”

As all of the spring athletes are affected by losing their seasons, Mr. Roney Eford, Director of Athletics, is encouraging students to stay positive and connected. He said, “During these unprecedented times, we all are here to support you no matter where you are in the world. This is a new norm for all of us but we will stay connected virtually as a community and we will get through this together, united as one Choate.”