In the Pool with Sydney Klakeg ’19

Sydney Klakeg ’19 guards against a shot for Santa Barbara 805 Water Polo Club. Photo courtesy of Sydney Klakeg

As a four-year starter on the Girls’ Varsity Water Polo, goalie Sydney Klakeg ’19 is the backbone of the team and one of the best water polo goalies in New England. Her skill in the cage has already been showcased this season with  key victories against Staples High School and Convent of the Sacred Heart. Recently, Klakeg sat down with reporter Isabelle So ’20 to discuss her experiences with water polo, her challenges in the sport, and her goals for this season.

Isabelle So: What team and how long have you played water polo for?

Sydney Klakeg: I have been playing for the Santa Barbara 805 Water Polo Club for seven years. I started playing when I was in second grade but only started competitively competing since seventh grade.

IS: What’s your biggest challenge playing water polo?

SK: One of the biggest challenges I faced was trusting myself. I am a pretty confident person in general, but at times I doubt myself and my abilities as a goalie. Over years of playing water polo, I learned that I need to simply trust in my abilities as a player to block the ball. Sometimes in water polo games, the odds are stacked against me, but I have learned to stay calm and focus in order to achieve the best results.

IS: Who or what was your inspiration to play water polo?

SK: My parents got me interested in water polo when I was in second grade. We had moved from Minnesota [to California] two years before, and the local club was having tryouts for their youngest age level (10 & unders). I had always loved swimming and being in the water, so my parents thought water polo would be a fun way to continue fostering my love for water. Unfortunately, I was in knee braces for six months, due to both of my patellas being misaligned, meaning I had to quit for several years. My parents suggested that I should start playing water polo again as a form of aqua-therapy to recover from my injury. Water polo was a way for me to regain my strength and have fun while doing so, and I owe one hundred percent of my love for water polo to my parents.  

IS: Why did you choose to come to Choate?

SK: I choose to come to Choate because I loved the campus atmosphere and thought that this is the place where I want to be. Additionally, I loved the water polo team. The season before I entered Choate as a freshmen, the water polo team won New Englands. I came to Choate to be part of an amazing team that inspired each other to work hard for their goals.

IS: What about water polo do you like?

SK: I love how intellectual and exciting the game of water polo is. As a goalie, I am constantly observing and analyzing what is happening in the pool. Depending on where the ball is, who has possession, and if my team is on 6-on-5, I act accordingly. My favorite type of game is when the teams are evenly matched and the score is close. Everyone’s adrenaline is pumping, the spectators are screaming, and both teams are pushing each other to play as hard as possible. These types of games make the losses hard and the wins very sweet. It is in games like these that amazing plays happen and lasting memories are made.    

IS: What are your goals for the team this season, and how does the team look this year?

SK: I am really excited for the team this year. I am extremely humbled to be part of a group of girls who are very committed to the team. I believe that our hard work, commitment, and positive energy will take us far this season. My goal for the team is to be one of the top four in our league. We have come close to achieving this goal in previous seasons, but due to injuries and other special circumstances, we fell short of that goal.