On the Court with Sam Gallo ’19

Sam Gallo ’19 has scored over 1000 points in her high school career. Photo courtesy of Ross Mortensen.

Sam Gallo ’19 is the captain of the Girls’ Varsity Basketball team, anchoring the team with her size and skills as a center and power forward. She has already eclipsed the coveted 1,000 points mark in her high school career, and she has committed to the University of New Hampshire to continue playing basketball at the collegiate level. Recently, Gallo sat down with staff reporter Allen Zheng ’21 to discuss how she started playing the sport, the Choate Girls’ Varsity Basketball team’s recent success, and her favorite basketball players.

Allen Zheng ’21: When did you start playing basketball?

Sam Gallo ’19: I started playing when I was five or six years old. My whole family loves the sport. My mom played basketball in college, and my older sister has always played as well. I always had a lot of energy as a child, so I pretty much played every sport at some point, but basketball was always by far my favorite.

AZ: What is your favorite thing about basketball?

SG: My favorite thing about basketball is probably how it is an extremely team-oriented sport. It has also given me some of the best relationships in my life, both players and coaches.

AZ: Where did you play before starting your Choate career?

SG: Before coming to Choate, I played at Mercy High School for two years. It’s a small, all-girls, Catholic high school in Middletown, Connecticut.

AZ: Why did you choose to come to Choate?

SG: I chose to come to Choate for all the opportunities the school has to offer. Before I got here, I had always felt myself to be defined by basketball, but Choate has taught me that I am not only a basketball player, but also, so much more.

AZ: What is your favorite memory from your time with Choate Girls’ Varsity Basketball?

SG: My favorite memory with the Choate basketball team is winning our winter tournament at Deerfield this year. In fact, that was our first tournament win since I came to Choate.

AZ: This season, the Choate girls’ varsity basketball team has started the season undefeated — what do you think has made this team so successful?

SG: I think one of the main reasons behind our success is the coaching. Coach Cox has run intense and focused practices throughout this year, and these practices have set the tempo for game day. Also, we’re definitely a little bit older and experienced this year as well. Most players on the team this year were also contributors last season, and our new post-graduates Chloe Blanc ’19 and Ayla Elam ’19 have been great additions as well.

AZ: What are your goals for the season?

SG: Our overarching goal is a NEPSAC championship, but then there are also smaller goals that we have to work to accomplish on a daily basis as well.

AZ: What is the biggest challenge you’ve faced as a basketball player?

SG: When I was a kid I couldn’t figure out which hand to shoot with. I’m kind of ambidextrous, so I used to take jump shots with two hands. However, I have recently decided to focus on just using my left though.

AZ: Who are your favorite basketball players?

SG: Los Angeles Lakers forward LeBron James and Choate Girls’ Varsity Basketball member Jordan Obi ’20, in no specific order.