On The Field With North Peters ’19

North Peters ’19 is a key member of the Choate football team’s defensive line, starting at the defensive end for the Wild Boars. Originally from Mystic, Connecticut, Peters has developed into one of prep school football’s elite players, committing to Harvard University over the summer. Recently, Peters sat down with reporter Allen Zheng ’21 to discuss how he got into football, the success of Choate’s football program, and his future in the sport.

Allen Zheng: What started your football career?

North Peters: I have been playing football ever since I was a kid. My parent just signed me up for flag football, so I started playing that, and I’ve been playing ever since.

AZ: What are some lessons you have learned from football?

NP: I have definitely learned a lot about hard work and being a good teammate.

AZ: What are some of your favorite things about playing for the Choate football team?

NP: I like winning every weekend, and also the friends that I have made. I think some of them will be lifelong friends. Football has opened up so many doors for me and given me lots of great opportunities.

AZ: What has been your most memorable moment from Choate football?

NP: My favorite memory was the championship game last year against Avon Old Farms. We were losing at halftime and had to come back, so that was pretty memorable.

AZ: What do you think are the main reasons for the team’s success?

NP: Other teams have a lot of individual talent, but we come together. Every game, we play for the people next to us and for each other.

AZ: Do you have any future goals regarding football?

NP: I want to get some playing time early in college. I want to get on the field and get some solid reps. First, I’ll see where college football at Harvard takes me, and depending on that, maybe my goals will shift.

AZ: What made you choose Harvard to continue your football and academic careers?

NP: At first, I didn’t really want to go to the Ivy League. I was actually going to commit to Syracuse a couple of weeks before I committed to Harvard, but then I wanted to check out what it was really like at Harvard. I visited and went to camp there, and ended up really liking it. The coaches and the opportunities that come with attending Harvard are awesome.

AZ: What sort of advice would you give to new players coming into the Choate football program?

NP: Just give it everything you got. Make sure to grind in the off-season, work hard, and trust the coaches. They know what they’re doing, and if you trust them, a lot of good things can happen.

AZ: Who is your favorite professional football player and why?

NP: Aaron Donald (Defensive Tackle for the L.A. Rams).