Junior Year, I’ ll Be Your Friend

Graphic by Chandler Littleford / The Choate News

Dear Junior Year,

I’m going to be frank with you — I’ve heard that you are the worst. I’ve heard that you cause countless all-nighters and copious mental breakdowns. I’ve heard that you put so much pressure on Choate students that even the strongest, most optimistic of us will succumb to you. I’ve heard that by the end of the year, you’ll have beaten us up so bad that we’ll have bruises all over our bodies. I’ve heard that you are the toughest, roughest bully we’ll face in high school.

So I’m going to become best friends with you. If you’re capable of being the subject of all these terrible rumors, you must be important. If you’re capable of wearing so many of us down both physically and mentally, you must be strong and persistent. If you’re really the toughest and roughest bully, then, by becoming friends with you, no one else will be able to bully me ever again.

Of course, there’ll be myriad obstacles I’ll need to surmount before becoming your friend. I’ll have to endure all your kicks and punches, all your threats and decoys. I know that at some point in the process of getting to know you, I’ll shed tears and think about giving up. It’s inevitable — I’ll feel lonely, vulnerable, dejected, disheartened, and exasperated.

But I’ll persevere. Someday, you and I will be besties.

I’ll always stay optimistic and appreciative of my surroundings. I’m studying at one of the best institutions in the nation with some of the most talented musicians and athletes, the best writers and artists, and the most passionate leaders. No matter how burdensome the workload, I’ll keep going, stay positive, and remember how lucky I am to be where I am today.

I’ll take care of myself — both mentally and physically. I’ll stay in shape, exercise regularly, and eat a healthy diet. I’ll keep my mind healthy by scheduling some alone time each day, as well as chatting with that friend who can keep me sane and motivated.

I’ll stay organized and manage my time more efficiently. I’ll create to-do lists and schedules so I don’t miss any classes, important meetings, or rehearsals, while still ensuring that I have time to meet with teachers and hang out with friends. I’ll make sure that I get at least some work done before climbing into bed for a well-deserved nap.

I’ll try not to overwhelm myself — it’s a balancing act, not a weight-lifting competition. If I end up joining a few too many clubs, I can always take some off my list. If I end up realizing that taking six honors courses each term is a little too much, I can always talk to my teachers about the workload or rearrange my class schedule. I’ll pick only the battles I know I will win.

Do you think that by the end of this year, I’ll be able to befriend you? So far, you haven’t been treating me too badly — I’ve yet to have the wildly late nights or gobs of stress that those scary rumors suggested I might. But, when it does get more difficult, I’ll persist and follow through with these small goals I’ve set. In the end, I know you’re much more of a motivation than a threat.

Ariel