Question of the Week: What are Your Summer Plans?

For some, summer is a time to relax and enjoy time away from Choate’s demanding workload. However, for others, the summer is jam-packed with everything they wanted to do but could not during the academic year. It seems to be that every person on campus has planned a slightly different agenda, so what are some people’s summer plans?

Supriya Chang ’21: I am going to multiple camps during the summer. One of the camps is a week of playing my oboe, developing new skills, and learning how to make reeds! Then, I am going to two separate squash camps, each one lasting a week as well. I’m thrilled to go to both. One camp has the first interactive squash courts of the East Coast! It’s going to be insanely cool playing games with the screen and seeing the accuracy of my shots. The next camp I will be attending with one of my close friends, and this will be our third year of squash camp together! I can’t wait to spend more time with her and progress in squash. Finally, I am planning a squash program for my hometown. Because my town has so little squash, I want kids to have the opportunity to fall in love with the sport like I did. Although the program may not be able to start this summer, I’m excited for the possibilities.”

Bekah Agwunobi ’19: “I believe summer camps are a scam and no one should waste their money on them. I will be working in a lab that works with artificial intelligence, and we will be analyzing criminal data to show how we can improve the court watching process. I will be doing both a combination of lab work and grass-root activism, as I will be actually watching trials and collecting data. I hope we can make more unbiased decisions pre-trial so people who shouldn’t be held accountable have their constitutional rights. In the case of many pre-trial cases, most people plead guilty because they would rather do so than go to trial as there is a greater punishment once you go to court. Cases can go on for so long that you might be held for a really long time. I’ve always been very interested in criminal advocacy and as someone who has done lab work in the past, a lot of lab work with tech is so technical and lacks legit human purpose. I really wanted to spend my time this summer with social advocacy and machine learning.

Max Su ’21: “This summer I will hopefully be interning at Istrategylabs and also in social media and marketing, probably in New York City.”

Jeanne Malle ’19: “I am planning to write a screenplay with my brother who works for a production company in Los Angeles. The script will be for a whole movie, and we plan to submit it to Netflix and HBO to see if they even look at it. I will be doing a 16-day backpacking trip with my sister in the south part of China. We will be exploring and understanding the countryside of China.”

Katherine Burgstahler ’18: “I am just going to be spending time with family and probably do some hiking with my dad.”

Many are very excited to come to the end of the school year and embark on a three-month long vacation. Others, seniors in particular, find this a bitter-sweet time that they know they will miss. Whether one is excited or sad, it is without a doubt that the 2018 academic year is coming to an end.