“What was your Reaction When You Were Admitted to Choate?”

Photo by Ryan Kim/The Choate News

Itai Mupanduki ’19 and Tippa Chan ’19 welcome a prospective student during Spring Revist Days.

With college decisions having just come out this past week, the jubilant reactions of the seniors combined with the crowds of excited Spring Visits brings back memories for the underclassmen on being accepted into Choate Rosemary Hall. With such a culturally and geographically diverse student body here at Choate, a couple of Choate students took time out of their week to speak about their experience and thought process after getting into Choate.

Chris Lin ’21 (Freshman Boarding Student):

“When I found out that I was accepted by Choate, I was super excited and happy. This was the same for my parents and friends, they were all very happy and proud. I think that the campus setting and vibe of Choate was really what made Choate stand out for me. I think that I saw the same kind of excitement in the kids that visited this week. Although they were very nervous, they all seemed to be genuinely happy to be here.”

Anish Deena ’19 (New Junior):

“I was pretty excited. I remember I was in AP Bio and I kept on checking my phone and when I saw the news that I got in, I remember texting my mom and being like I got in. My family and friends, they were pretty happy. I mean, the reputation Choate has as an elite boarding school is like pretty well-known outside of New England, so everyone was happy for me.”

Zoe Tray ’21 (Freshmen Day Student):

“I was very nervous when I was waiting on the decision, but I was really excited when I found out. Parents were super excited, and they were hugging me. My sister was also excited, and now she is excited to go here. I was really nervous because I had only applied to Choate, so I was kind of stuck with the decision I made of going here. I thought that all the revisit kids were really nice and sweet, although some were more chatty than other ones.”

Skylar Hansen-Raj ’20 (Returning Sophomore):

“I had conflicted feelings when I got into Choate. Choate was the only East Coast boarding school I applied to, so I wasn’t sure if I was ready for the commitment of moving across the country. Still, I was excited. I don’t remember doing anything special after getting in, since I still hadn’t decided if I wanted to go.  All the other boarding schools I looked into were all-girls and in California. The reason I picked Choate over that school was because I decided I wanted to go to a co-ed school. However, the reason I chose Choate over other day schools near me was because I wanted a sense of adventure. My parents were excited but sad. I am an only child so they felt sad to see me leave. I have a lot of family in Connecticut, like my grandparents, who were excited to have me closer to them. My friends were sad that I was leaving but were comforted by the fact I would visit them often.”

Haley Strom ’20 (New Sophomore):

“I was home, and I remember opening the letter, but it wouldn’t load! And it said yes, and I remember involuntarily crying. Then I called my mom and sister and they almost didn’t know how to respond. I wore my yellow shoes the next day because I didn’t want to tell people I got in, but I still wanted to feel the Choate spirit!”