On The Course with Carter Prince ’18

Photo courtesy of Carter Prince

Carter Prince ’18 tees o in Florida over spring break.

Carter Prince ’18 is Choate’s top golfer, captain of the golf team, and committed to the University of Pennsylvania. Even though he is currently enjoying his senior spring, he was kind enough to spare some time to converse with Staff Reporter Isabelle So ’20 about his history with golf, goals he has for the future, and tips he has for the rest of the team.

Isabelle So ’20: When did you start playing golf?

Carter Prince ’18: I started playing when I was about four because my country club had a summer golf camp. However, I began playing competitively when I was around 10.

IS: Did you play for another team before you came to Choate?

CP: I didn’t play on a team before Choate, only tournaments during the summer.

IS: What inspired you to play golf?

CP: I guess I can say that my father was really the person who inspired me. I would always see him watching golf, and he was really the one who got me into golf in the first place. It’s really nice to see him support me now, and I can thank him because he definitely helped me get to where I am today in the sport.

IS: Who is your golf idol? Why?

CP: My idol is Jordan Spieth. I’ve always loved him as a golfer, and he is rather easy to relate to as one of the younger golfers on the PGA Tour.

IS: Have you ever wanted to go professional?

CP: It has always been my dream to play professionally. I got the first step down, playing D1 golf in college. I still need to work very hard to get to where I want to be. I watch the guys on tour play, and can’t believe how good they are. I just want to be like them, and I’m going to do everything in my power to try and reach that level.

IS: Are there any adjustments you had to make for golf?

CP: I recently had to give up orchestra in order to focus fully on golf. That was really hard for me since the violin has been part of my life since I was three.

IS: Do you ever have the thought of switching sports?

CP: There was a time where I thought soccer was my sport. However, my sophomore year, I realized that golf could take me places, so I decided to quit soccer and devote my time to golf. I started playing golf in the fall in addition to the spring.

IS: What are some goals you wish to reach before the end of this season?

CP: Honestly, my goal of the season is just to improve and practice handling the pressure of competitive golf. It would be nice to place well in Founders and the Kingswood Invitational Tournament also. Nonetheless, it would be nice to go into the summer feeling confident in my swing and in my game.

IS: What are some lessons you have learned from this sport?

CP: Golf has honestly taught me a lot about life, as corny as it sounds. I think people overlook the sport of golf. However, it requires serious skills, not only with your swing but with your head as well. Patience and composure are some of the skills I’ve learned from golf.

IS: What is your favorite thing about the team?

CP: My favorite part about the team is how close we get over the course of the season. Because it is such a small team, everybody gets to know everyone and by the end of the season it is an extremely fun team to be a part of.

IS: What are some tips you can give to your teammates and incoming golfers?

CP: Being and staying positive on the course is extremely important. If you hit a bad shot, you can’t get down on yourself because that will only affect your next shot. Golf is as much of, if not more, a mental game than a technical one. Worrying about the shot you have and forgetting the others is the best advice I was given, and it’s the best advice I can give.