Spring Visits: A Time to Welcome and Reflect

If there is one thing that all Choate students have in common, it’s the shared experience of completing a long, thorough application process. All students share the same adventure: taking the standardized test, writing the essays and numerous short-answer responses, and going in for the interview. Personally, every moment played an instrumental part in my journey. Such experiences, therefore, are important to reflect upon occasionally, especially in an environment as quick-paced as Choate’s.

Photo by Ryan Kim/The Choate News

Student Council representatives talk with a prospective student.

Looking back, it’s hard to remember a time when the view outside my room window wasn’t that of Mem Field. Change, I suppose, is tied intrinsically to all of our Choate experiences. However, despite the many changes that have gone on in our lives, what has not changed is the sense of self-motivation the community seems to share. The common thread shared between Choate students is a willingness to seize opportunities and take advantage of all the resources given to one. This is shown not just by the application process all current students have completed, but also by the way all consistently push themselves to improve. It’s what I love about Choate: the unique, inexplicable feeling that this is a place where one can truly discover her own potential.

As members of the community go about a busy routine, however, they often forget to live in the moment. As a result, it may be hard to be appreciative of the opportunities one is given, especially since it is easy to get caught up in the perpetual routine of rigorous classes, extracurriculars, and athletic commitments. We place so much focus on getting through challenges successfully that we go about the whole process without ever really enjoying the full experience. Recently, I’ve discovered that even when discussing some of my courses with peers, the excitement for academics that once dominated conversation seems to have died back to make room for other concerns. While we may still be the same eager students as we were before coming to Choate, I fear that in some ways, we may have lost our spark.

So, I propose that the spring revisit days serve a dual purpose. Though it is mainly a time to welcome the accepted and convince them to join our community, I’m hopeful that such an event will also play a part in encouraging current students to reflect on the journeys that brought them to where they are. The revisit day is an opportunity to appreciate the passion and drive of the student body that makes Choate as great as it is. I am hopeful that the many positive emotions felt during the Choate experience will continue to draw more avid students to our campus. We are in a place where new possibilities and opportunities arise each day. I, for one, think that is incredible.