Resident Rapper: Kid Lacey

The number of memorable school dances can be counted on one hand. The repetitive music and flashing lights tend to blur them together. However, this past weekend was an event that will be remembered for the unique tunes projected on stage. The man behind those beats was Matt Lacey ’18, a senior who has proven his musical potential countless times here at Choate.

Lacey, otherwise known as “Kid Lacey,” has been producing music for the duration of his teenage years. This year was the third time Lacey shared his productions with the Choate community. Two years ago, he and alumnus Julian Fraser ’16 held a concert. He marks this as the highlight of his Choate career and has loved the stage since.

He said, “It was musical entertainment. It was a moment that I will never forget. I remember being on stage and loving it. Being watched and listened to was insane, but the feeling of hearing my music echoing in the halls gave me such a thrill. It felt like second nature. I was barely aware of what my body was doing; I didn’t know what I was thinking. I just remember the feeling of wanting to stay on stage and continuing to pursue this career forever.”

His first solo performance, following the joint concert, was in the old Student Activity Center, for a CALSA, the Choate Afro-Latino Student Alliance inter-school dance. He says, “I volunteered to dee-jay, and I have no regrets.”

Music has always been a part of Lacey. He said, “I was twelve years old when I started posting musical covers on YouTube. I just thought to myself, ‘How hard could it be?’” He has since expanded this forum to SoundCloud, accumulating a total of 31 original tracks. He says, “My inspirations are Lil Wayne and Kendrick Lamar. They both have their own unique style. This is something I admire; I want to find my own sound as well. I want to produce music that is untouchable, that is one of a kind.” Lacey draws his lyrics from his fears, emotions, and experiences; they act as a rhythmic signature of his developing artistry.

Lacey aspires to perform in the future and eventually pursue music professionally. He says, “I began to remix other artists’ music because it motivated me. I desired to have my own career. I want to be on stage in the future, and I decided I had to start somewhere. I thought to myself that every small step counts.” Since then he has written original works. He says, “I started writing my own lyrics. I developed, and am developing, a flow and a style of my own. I became my own artist.” He concluded, “Music is a huge part of me. It is a part of my identity. I never want to lose myself.”