On the Ice With the Freshmen Of GVH

As the Girl’s Varsity Hockey season gets into full swing, freshman players Gina Driscoll ’20, Christina Tournas ’20, and Effie Tournas ’20 have begun to understand what being a varsity athlete really means. With goals and assists under their wings, all three have proved that they are major assets to the team despite their ages.

The Tournas twins, hailing from Monroe, CT, and Gina Driscoll, from Orange, CT, found Choate in different ways. Driscoll saying, “I discovered Choate from my travel ice hockey team… players are asked to apply to certain prep schools. I was approached by several coaches but determined Choate was the best fit for me.” Meanwhile, the Tournas twins reached for Choate for its well-roundedness. Effie said, “I started looking at boarding school and, more importantly, Choate because it offers exceptional academics as well as hockey.” One thing they agree on is that Choate felt right. Christina noted, “The hockey team and the coach were so welcoming. I felt right at home.”

One struggle they faced at the beginning of their Choate careers was waiting for the season to start. Driscoll said, “The fall was a drag! Although JV Soccer was a blast, I could not wait to reach winter term.” Eager to stay in shape and prepare for the winter season, Driscoll found a way to stay on the ice even in fall term. She explained, “I play with the Mid Fairfield Youth Hockey Association, which plays every Sunday. That kept me in shape until hockey season started.” The Tournas twins also play for Mid Fairfield, alongside Driscoll. In fact, Choate GVH started their season with a victory against the Tournas’ team.

Not only have these freshman had to adjust to the high school workload, but they also had to learn to balance school with a varsity sport. Since the beginning of hockey season, the freshmen have experienced major changes in their fall term schedules to accommodate training.

Effie commented, “Having hockey practice during study hours took some adjusting, but it definitely has helped me with my time management. Instead of leaving all my homework until study hours, I complete it right after classes.” Driscoll said, “The workload at Choate takes some getting used to, but the school supported me in learning to better manage my time. Everyone is very supportive of the sacrifices hockey players make to keep up with the grueling schedule.”

As far as the transition to playing on a different hockey team, Christina said, “Going from just playing against girls that are 14 and 15 to playing against girls that are as old as 19 or 20 is definitely different, especially since they are much bigger and stronger. But it has helped me grow and develop so much as a player.” Driscoll echoed, “The older players demonstrate a level of skill that is hard to match, but it motivates us to work harder .” Despite the challenges they may face as the youngest players of the league, these three talented freshmen have proved to be valuable members of the team. 

When asked about their goals and favorite memories for the season, the girls had similar sentiments. Driscoll stated, “I want to help the team become New England Champions, which is a goal I can see us achieving. I believe this year marks 10 years since Choate has won the title. With hard work on and off the ice, I feel this goal is reasonable.” As far as favorite memories, Effie said, “My favorite memory so far this season was definitely beating Nobles. It was a huge win for us. Our whole team came together and played as a unit.” Driscoll selected a more casual moment as the most memorable: “My personal favorite was going to lunch with the coaches and some of the players when we got back late in the afternoon from the Taft tournament. My teammates had me laughing so hard, I was crying.”

Remember to come out and support Girls’ Varsity Hockey in the coming weeks, and watch out for the team’s impressive freshman players!