Photo courtesy of Choate Rosemary Hall

Photo courtesy of Choate Rosemary Hall

You may have heard of the postgraduate who is playing Senior Soccer. If not, then you are probably wondering what a PG is doing on the Senior Soccer team, which means we are all on the same page. George McGuirk ’17, a Madison, Connecticut native, arrived at Choate this year to play for Boys’ Varsity Lacrosse in the spring. Surprisingly, MGuirk has also proved to be a major asset to the Senior Soccer team.

Sarah Gurevitch ’19: How have you been adjusting to life at Choate?

George McGuirk ’17: It was a little rocky at first, being one of the new kids here.  Boarding school is completely different from the public schools I’ve attended, but I’ve really started to adjust in the past few weeks.  I’ve set a daily routine, which has definitely helped. I really like it here.

SG: Why did you choose to join Senior Soccer instead of trying out for the varsity soccer team?

GM:  I really wanted to join an intramural sport where I could meet a lot of other kids, especially kids in my grade.  I thought a lot of PGs would be playing Senior Soccer.

SG: So how it is being the only PG on the Senior Soccer team?

GM: To be honest, it was a little weird at first and not what I expected.  But I’ve become close with the team and have really grown to love Senior Soccer.  It is a lot of fun.

SG: What position do you play?

GM: I’m actually not sure.  I play left wing most of the time, and sometimes I’ll drop back to play defense. I’ll also play center back or hop in and play goalie every once in a while.  It really depends.

SG: What is the dynamic of the Senior Soccer team?

GM: (Laughs) It’s a very diverse group of people, ranging from those who are pretty skilled at soccer to people just trying the sport for the first time.  The team has really great camaraderie, though.  Everyone meshes really well together, and we all take it seriously and try to win.

SG: Have you witnessed any particularly funny moments with the team?

GM: Yes.  There have been many instances where people have been hit in the face with the ball.  It actually happens quite frequently.  Handballs are also a problem. Sometimes, people think it’s a good idea to smack the soccer ball in the air with their hand.  Every time this happens, everyone laughs.

SG: What are all the sports that you play?

GM: My only team sport is lacrosse, but I also surf, snowboard, skateboard, and play pickup sports like basketball and hockey with friends.

SG: Do you have any particular role models that you’d like to talk about?

GM: I would say my father.  He’s taught me a lot of morals and ideals that I live by.  He’s helped me realize the best way I can go about my life, and how I can succeed.

SG: Who’s your favorite professional athlete?

GM: Sage Kotsenburg, who is a U.S. Olympic snowboarder.  I really like his message.  He’s not about the competition, but more about exploring the unknown and being adventurous.

SG: What is your life motto?

GM: Explore the unknown because there is so much out there that people haven’t seen or experienced.  I really like to broaden my horizons.  I feel like not knowing something gives you more drive to go out and try to attain that knowledge.

You can catch McGuirk tearing it up on Senior Soccer during the team’s match versus Choate faculty on November 4.