Dilibe Iloeje ’18: Soccer and Campus Star

JC: How’s your year going up to now?

DI: It’s going well so far.  Soccer season has started off well.  Classes are pretty good too.

JC: How has the soccer season been so far?

DI: The year has started off very strongly. We have a talented team this year and we have a lot of underclassmen who can continue the team’s success into the future. We are undefeated so far and we have not had a lot of difficulty scoring so far.

JC: What are your hopes for the soccer season?

DI:  Our goal for this year is plain and simple. We hope to make the playoffs and I would say that our ultimate go is to go to the playoffs and advance as far as possible. The playoffs are a long way away but every game makes a difference and being in a highly competitive league it’s imperative that we stay focused on that objective. I believe that we have the talent to achieve this goal and that we just need to focus on out-working each team that we play.

JC: How are you guys going to do that?

DI: We have a lot of depth this year, so we need to focus on this year is having every single guy step up and take responsibility during games.

JC: Have they done that so far?

DI: I would say they are doing a pretty good job so far.  We have only had three games, so they’re still getting their feet wet, but as the season progresses, they should start picking it up.

JC: People walking around campus recently may have randomly heard your name being yelled.  What’s going on with that?

DI: I’ve become a meme of sorts. It started because people within my friend group, mainly Lloyd Williams ’18, enjoyed shouting my name in funny voices and eventually it became a regular thing. Then, it spread throughout my form because during exam week last year, my form moved into the senior section, as the previous seniors had graduated. It was dinner and as Lloyd sat down and started to chant my name, guys like Eamonn Welliver ’18 and Carter Prince ’18 joined in and it spread quickly with every table in the senior section shouting and chanting my name.

JC: How do you feel about that?

DI: It’s awkward, but it’s pretty funny.  Sometimes I’m in the dining hall just doing my work, and the entire grade will yell, “Dilibe!”   That first time it really blew up I got a standing ovation and it was just hilarious to be a part of. I’ve just been enjoying it, because at this point the situation is out of my hands.