Runners Reflect on Missing Deerfield Day Year After Year

Every year, a group of about 40 runners from the girls’ and boys’ cross country teams run in the NEPSTA Division I Cross Country Championships, better known as New Englands.  Competing in this race is the culmination of the hours of hard work, blood, sweat, and tears they have put into the sport this season.  But running in this race comes with a sacrifice: missing Deerfield Day. Cross Country New Englands is regularly scheduled on the same date as Deerfield Day, forcing Choate runners to miss the annual tradition.

While all runners would love to attend Deerfield Day, they realize that their team is counting on them to run their best race at the Championship. Graham Keating ’19, in his first year going to New Englands, summed up this sentiment well: “Although I don’t like the fact that I have to miss Deerfield Day, there is a feeling of accomplishment. It feels good to put in a season of hard work and have it pay off by qualifying for and running in New Englands.” Maya Birney ‘17 said, “It’s a bit sad to think that I’ve been here for four years and never have been to Deerfield Day. At the same time, I’m okay with missing out on it because cross country does its own thing.” Arjun Katechia ’18 said on the matter, “Yes, I wish I could go to Deerfield Day, but I would rather run for my cross country team and not go to Deerfield Day than bail on the team and attend Deerfield Day.”

One thing that most runners wish for is that New Englands could be moved so that they could experience the excitement and spirit of Deerfield Day. Mr. James Davidson, head coach of Girls’ Cross Country, said that the prospect of moving New Englands is discussed frequently among coaches and athletic directors, but it is not something that is possible. He continued, “I would acknowledge that it is hard to miss Deerfield Day, and I know some runners each year express that feeling, but I feel the end-of-season Cross Country Championship is really important for our teams.  It has been this way since the 1960’s — and it is the same experience for all the schools in our league who participate in cross country.” 

While most Choate runners wish they could go to Deerfield Day, they understand that they are a part of a team, and they have a duty to support their team in the biggest race of the season.