Seniors leave Their Legacy

Photo courtesy of @gochoate
Class of 2025 signs the L-beam to be put up in Carr Hall.

Photo courtesy of photos.choate.edu
Students sign L-beam with friends.

By Matthew Zhang ’28, Reporter

The L-Beam Signing on current construction projects for sixth-formers has been a cherished tradition ever since Head of School Dr. Alex Curtis stepped into his position in 2011. The goal of this tradition is to honor the senior classes impacted by the construction of new buildings who won’t get the chance to enjoy the completed space. With each new project, the graduating seniors sign an L-beam, which is then placed within the new building so they can leave behind their legacy.

On September 6, the Class of 2025 signed the L-Beam that will be placed in Carr Hall, which is set to be completed in the fall of 2025. Head of Student and Academic Life and acting Head of School Ms. Jenny Elliot said, “I love the fact that kids are going to feel like they were a part of this campus indefinitely, and I am glad that so many kids were able to come out.”

Student Body President Robert Haik ’25 shared his experience signing the L-Beam. “Signing my name on the beam was a bittersweet moment. On one hand, this interaction felt like a tangible way to leave my mark on my school, that has been a place where I have called home,” he said, “On the other hand, it reminded me of the last couple of months I have left here ”

Haik also appreciated how the L-Beam displayed the diversity of personalities within his class. “As we all signed the beam, everyone shared a sense of camaraderie. Some people wrote their names large and bold accompanied with a smiley face, while others wrote their names in a small print font, highlighting the wide range of personalities in the senior grade,” he said.

Building on this sentiment, Xiu Lim ’25 added, “It is a huge privilege for the Class of 2025 to be able to sign the beam because for many of the prospective Choaties, the first building they will see would be Carr Hall, and I think it is very wholesome to be given this opportunity.”

The L-Beam signing left a mark on many members of the Class of 2025, signifying the beginning of the end of their journey at the School. As each senior signed their signature, they contributed to a lasting legacy that will be remembered and cherished long after they’ve graduated.