Save the Celebrations. We Have Work to Do.

On Saturday, November 7, the Associated Press called Pennsylvania in favor of the Democratic Party, pushing former Vice President Joe Biden and his running mate Senator Kamala Harris past the 270 electoral votes threshold for a definitive win in the 2020 U.S. presidential election.

A democratic win would not have been possible without the huge turnout of African-American votes in the urban centers of Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, Nevada, Arizona, and Georgia. This, combined with Biden’s appeal to white suburban residents, carried the Democratic campaign. 

Since more and more Americans are staying up-to-date on politics and taking advantage of different voting options —  such as filling out an absentee or mail-in ballot — the U.S. could see a sizable increase in voter participation over the next few years. This would mainly benefit Democrats, as we have seen this election season.

After hearing of Biden’s victory and reflecting on the exceptional voter turnout, I couldn’t help but feel relieved. However, this feeling was short-lived. Other matters soon occupied my mind. I know that this election was not about me — an affluent, straight, white male. I was not in danger of losing my life or any of my rights. 

I know that even though Biden won, we still have a long road ahead of us. The harsh truth is that over 70 million Americans voted for President Donald Trump P’00 — a man I consider racist and bigoted.  

Democrats cannot simply let that go and just call it a day. We do not yet have a majority in the Senate — which will make passing substantive reform a challenge— and we are also outnumbered in the Supreme Court. 

So, how do we move forward? 

First, I encourage everyone to support Democrat Jon Ossoff’s campaign against Republican Senator David Perdue and Democratic challenger Raphael Warnock against Republican Senator Kelly Loeffler in the two Georgia Senate run-offs. Whether that is through phone banking, donations, or any other medium of volunteering, please get involved. These two seats will ultimately decide if the Senate majority is Democratic or Republican. 

Second, I encourage you to model decency and compassion. Even though we will likely never win over Trump supporters, stooping to their level by calling them names and condoning hatred is not what Democrats — or any decent human being — should stand for. 

As former First Lady Michelle Obama has said, “When they go low, we go high.” This is not to say that we shouldn’t be aggressive in our activism or proud in our beliefs. Activism on a local level will be critical in the next four years, especially if Senator Mitch McConnell controls the Senate. Make your voice heard and do your best to enact change wherever you can. 

I’d like to leave you with a line from Vice President-Elect Kamala Harris, delivered after her election marked a multitude of firsts for the office of vice president. During her victory speech on Saturday, she said, “America’s democracy is not guaranteed. It is only as strong as our willingness to fight for it, to guard it — and that’s exactly what we did.” 

Vice President-elect Kamala Harris in Wilmington, Delaware last week. Photo courtesy of Vox