Art By the Fireplace

Krystal McCook ’20’s favorite outfits combine style with comfort. Photo courtesy of Krystal McCook

The increasing amount of time we spend at home and the lack of social interaction in quarantine can serve both as creative inspiration and a damper on our sense of style. In the sea of sweats, hoodies, and pajamas that can be seen in every Zoom classroom, some Choate fashionistas have spiced up comfortable clothing with their keen eye for fashion.

For sixth-formers Krystal McCook ’20 and Di’Anna Bonomolo ’20, fashion is a creative outlet and a form of self-expression, and they feel that maintaining a chic fashion sense in quarantine is part of a necessary attitude towards life. 

“At home I would wear more oversize clothing but tweak it to make the outfit look stylish, whereas at Choate, I would focus on dressing to be fashionable and not thinking of comfort,” McCook said.

McCook shared one of her favorite at-home outfits: a simple white crop top matching a pair of acid-washed jeans with small accents like metallic silver lettering of the words “Angel Baby” on the shirt and an elastic waistband in the jeans for comfort. McCook described her outfit as “cheerful, simple, and comfortable.” 

Although the clothes that McCook wears at home differ from her typical outfits at Choate, her perception and understanding of her fashion sense remains consistent. She always approaches putting together an outfit by asking herself “How can I be comfortable, how can I express myself, and how can I feel happy in what I’m wearing?” 

Instead of confining herself to one specific style, McCook enjoys letting her outfits vary based on her mood, from sporty leggings to casual crop tops. McCook chooses the color scheme of her outfit depending on the weather. For example, on cloudy days, she often selects hoodies that mostly consist of dark colors, while on sunny days, she prefers brighter colors. 

“I find bright colors more attractive because they give the pop of cheerfulness that I’m looking for, especially during the monotonous quarantine,” McCook said.  

Watching videos on TikTok and seeing people’s persistence to dress up despite being stuck at home has started to inspire McCook to maintain the same style she typically wore on campus. She said that when she feels lost in the unending days of quarantine, “a cute outfit would make my day.”

Although Bonomolo also watches TikTok videos as an inspiration for her outfits, she has been avoiding social media lately because she doesn’t want to conform to the beauty standards often promoted on social media platforms. “In terms of fashion, I like to follow people that look like me and take into consideration their style of clothing,” Bonomolo said.

In contrast to her go-to tank tops and sweatpants, Bonomolo wears T-shirts, dresses, and shorts more often at home since most of her clothes are still on campus. For Bonomolo, matching the color scheme and choosing the color that best brings out her best complexion is her favorite part of putting together an outfit. 

Di’Anna Bonomolo ’20 prefers colors that flatter her skin tone. Photo courtesy of Di’Anna Bonomolo

She described the look that she shared, a sleeveless tangerine romper speckled with white polka dots, as “vibrant, cute, and lovely.” Its colors, she said, “scream spring vibes, represent my character, and complement my figure.”

Staying at home has not diminished McCook and Bonomolo’s passion for style as a representation of their personalities. “When I find the right outfit, I feel very accomplished,  and my heart warms up a little,” McCook said. “The sense of confidence I feel and the ability to boost my self-esteem is my favorite part about fashion.”

Bonomolo agreed, saying,  “Fashion is wearing the outfits that make you shine.”