2050: Lost Tradition of Senior Sledding Returns in Digital Form

Choate used Virtual Reality to bring back senior sledding, a tradition last seen on campus in 2018. Graphic by Elton Zheng/The Choate News

This article was released as part of a special issue that envisions the world in 2050. All content should be treated as fictional.

On February 19, 2050, Choate revived the long-cherished senior sledding tradition through Virtual Reality (VR), a tradition lost to the climate crisis of the 2020s, which caused a global loss of snow and raised worldwide seawater levels by 25 meters. 

The VR industry has gained momentum over the last 30 years, and it has come to define the cornerstone of American life, vastly influencing entertainment, medical, and technological industries. Choate’s emphasis on adopting the newest technologies to optimize students’ academic and interpersonal experiences has been a core element of the School’s philosophy, tracing back as early as 2012 with the debut of the one-to-one iPad program. Now, the VR initiative expands upon those core ideals. Working in tandem with the newly constructed Kennedy Wellness Center, Choate hopes to bring back this ancient tradition for students to enjoy and destress. According to the School Archives, the last real-world senior sledding occurred more than three decades ago, in 2018.

When Dean of Students Ms. Alice Chang announced on February 15 that Choate would bring back senior sledding by investing in VR headsets, the student body couldn’t believe it. “I was so excited. I’ve never been sledding. I’ve never even seen snow!” said sixth-former Adam Ross ’50. “I was born and raised in Connecticut, where the temperature is never below 70 degrees Fahrenheit.” 

Most Choate students have never experienced winter, and senior sledding was merely a faded dream raved about by alumni teachers. Even so, said Larry Nelson ’50, students “always heard whispers about senior sledding someday returning, especially because of the new VR technology announced by M.A.G.” (M.A.G. was created in 2030, through the merger of Microsoft, Google, and Apple that monopolized the technological world.). 

When Saturday rolled around, seniors trickled into the Kennedy Wellness Center (KWC) at noon. “When I walked into the common area, I saw rows of shiny bodysuits, gloves, and goggles,” said Anna Lucas ’50. The gear was central to enhancing the three dimensional experience. 

Dr. Elisa Reynold, the leader of the KWC and mastermind behind the event, said, “The combination of the suits, gloves, and goggles allow students to feel connected to their environment. Ideally, they are able to touch the snow, feel the wind as they are sledding, and are transported to the moment. Students have enjoyed our cybernetic implants for virtual entertainment, but we are hoping that this can reach out to a greater population of the school community and allow for all to immerse themselves in the extinct New England winter.” 

Brimming with excitement, seniors made their way up to the second floor of the KWC. Instead of the usual reading pods and couches, black leather seats and game consoles were arranged in perfect rows. As students began taking their seats, Dr. Reynolds came upstairs and went through the basic instructions. Within five minutes, seniors had their goggles on, hands poised over their consoles, and were ready to launch into the simulation. 

Students were transported to a digitally-rendered version of the field at Gunpowder Creek, where senior sledding used to take place. The sky was bright blue and the sun was shining. It was 25 degrees Fahrenheit — unheard of since the year 2035 when all the ice caps officially melted. Birds were chirping, hidden under the shroud of the trees, and the air was crisp and smelled faintly of the holidays. “It was straight out of a fairytale,” said Grace Meridin ’50. 

Seniors were shocked by how “real” the experience was. “I could physically touch the snow, feel my stomach flip as I slid downhill, and gawk at the mountaintops encircling us. I was mind blown, and so was everyone else,” said Mark Robin ’50. 

Adding on, Ella Lang ’50 said, “Erin [Thornton ’50] jokingly threw a snowball at me and I couldn’t help but scream — not because of what she did, but because I felt the burst of cold when the snowball collided with my skin.”  

“I’m glad the students enjoyed the experience,” Dr. Reynolds said. “This is what we want Choate to utilize in the future. By using VR, we hope not only to teach our students a comprehensive view about the past but also provide them with more opportunities to focus on their own personal wellness in an uncertain world.”