Self Defense: The Newest Intramural Sport

Many students at Choate participate in traditional intramural sports, such as squash or basketball.  However, in the fall term of next year, a new, different intramural sport will be offered to students: self-defense.

Over the course of the fall term, this intramural sport will focus on straightforward tools and techniques that have been proven to work in defending one’s self against real-life attacks. It is not a martial-arts course, but students will learn how to defend themselves if they’re ever caught in a dangerous situation. The self-defense class will also cover general topics such as awareness, avoidance, and space management to help prevent dangerous encounters. Students who take the self-defense course as an intramural sport will participate in some strength training to make the students stronger and more confident about themselves if they were to face an actual attack.

The self-defense course will be taught by new HPRSS teacher Ms. Amy Howland. Ms. Howland teaches a women’s studies course in the winter term and has worked as a personal trainer. She she has a passion for empowering people so that they can live safely. She explained, “I went to Mr. [Pat] Dennehy [Fourth-Form Dean and Associate Director of Athletics] with the idea for the self-defense course, and he approved, so I wrote a proposal for the course. Then I figured out where I could get certified to be an actual instructor.”

When asked more about the specifics self-defense course Ms. Howland stated, “You don’t have to be super strong or a martial artist to perform the techniques. You can use the strengths and the attackers weakness to get out of dangerous situations.” In addition to the combat aspect of the class, Ms. Howland mentioned, “We will also be doing things on spatial awareness and learning how to perceive the scenes around you.”

On the importance of this class, Ms. Howland believes that self-defense techniques are not available to enough people, but that self-defense is an incredibly important skill for all people. “There are so many situations where I have not wanted to go somewhere or not wanted to do something because I felt like it is not completely safe or that I might be vulnerable.” She added, “As a woman, I have wanted to feel stronger or more capable of taking care of myself, and I think that is really important.” She hopes that the course will create a strong community among its members.

Additionally, Ms. Howland believes that this course is particularly relevant for Choate students. She said, “It is important for Choate students to be able to go to college and feel that they are safe, and that there is not somebody on the street that can take them by surprise.” Because of the large variety of settings Choate students will experience after leaving Choate, it is extremely important, Ms. Howland said, for Choate students to learn about self-defense now rather than later. “Also, for empowerment, it would be great if the kids could feel better about themselves on a daily basis.”

Ms. Howland added, “I hope students leave with very concrete skills in self-defense that they will be able to use for the rest of their lives. Also, I hope that the students have fun participating in the course.”