Sam Gallo ’19 Eclipses 1,000 Points

The 1,000 point club is one of the most exclusive in high school basketball. Choate’s very own Sam Gallo ’19, a member of Girls Varsity Basketball, became one of the select few high school athletes to push themselves to the limit by earning it in her junior year.

While 1,000 points is a huge accomplishment, Gallo started small, first playing basketball in her  recreational league. She loved the game and continued to play through high school, beginning her career at Mercy High School in Middletown, CT. At Mercy, she was part of another very strong team that had several title runs. When comparing the two teams, Gallo recalls: “Both teams for the most part are very similar. Each practice was intense with the main goal of bettering ourselves. The main differences really come from the league we played in. There were no shot clocks and the games were played with quarters.”

During her sophomore year at Mercy, Gallo decided to apply to Choate. Gallo commented on her decision, “I ended up coming to Choate for the community and the opportunities the school has to offer. The moment I stepped onto the campus, I knew this was where I wanted to be.”

Once she arrived at Choate, Gallo was a game changer. While the Choate Girls Varsity Basketball program has always been strong, it had been a few years since Choate had made it to the championship. Prior to Gallo coming, Choate went 14-5, but didn’t go anywhere in the playoffs. In Gallo’s first year, Choate made it all the way to the New England finals. Gallo’s influence at Choate was noted, with Mr. Jim Davidson saying, “Her work ethic and hustle are some of her strongest attributes — in practice and in games.”

Gallo reached 1,000 points in Choate’s game versus Suffield Academy, adding to their excellent campaign. Choate’s season is far from over, and Gallo has some high hopes for the team. She stated, “My goal for our team is not just to win games, but to grow as a whole. Winning games is only half the challenge, but there are many other stepping stones along the way to becoming a successful team, especially in the postseason. In the end, my ultimate goal for us is to return to the New England finals, and win a championship.” Mr. Davidson commented on Gallo’s work ethic, stating, “She works hard, listens to criticism, plays big, plays smart, leads by example, and has hit some key shots for us — both from the floor and from the foul line.” Being a captain as a junior indicates her teammates respect of her hard work. With a balance of younger and older talent, Gallo hopes to keep the team strong in coming years.

As far as Gallo’s personal goals, 1,000 points was just the beginning. “My goal in basketball going forward is to push myself to become the best player I can possibly be. I would love to play college basketball, but whatever comes out of my hard work, will be a reward in itself.” Gallo also acknowledges the influence that basketball has had on her life. “Basketball has helped me to grow as a person and to develop a hard work ethic on and off the court. Nothing but positives have come out of basketball being a part of my life.”

Gallo will continue to be a force for Choate Basketball for the remainder of her career and will continue her strong work ethic everywhere she goes. With the 1,000 point mark passed, there’s no knowing where she will go next.