Seniors Hesitate to Buy Class Rings

Photo courtesy of Jim Yanelli

The design and order forms for last year’s class rings were sent to students in the spring term.

Senior class rings, once a treasured tradition at Choate, have significantly declined in sales recently, as students have started to see them as impractical and unaffordable. The tradition is not regarded as “out-dated” by students; many seniors believe that class rings would serve as a great reminder of Choate. However, many factors contribute to the decline in sales; in particular, they are not equally accessible to all students financially. As a result, each year fewer and fewer people are filling out order forms for these mementos.

Class rings were initially created to serve as a reminder of and a connection to students’ alma maters, now popular throughout the country. Members of the graduating class at the United States Military Academy, West Point, created the first class ring in 1835. The tradition caught on during later years and soon influenced academic institutions like The Choate School and Rosemary Hall to start a tradition of their own.

The first Rosemary Hall class ring was cut in the early 1900s; the rings were made of precious stone and 14 karat gold. Most seniors purchased a school ring during their sophomore or early junior year, as they would arrive during the spring to be received at a ring ceremony and worn throughout their senior year.

As time has gone on, however, the sales of class rings at Choate have dwindled down. One reason is the impracticality of such a piece of jewelry. Calla Chan ’17 explained, “I think it’s cool that  the school gives us the option of buying one. However, I don’t know a lot of people who got them because it’s high school, so it’s not that big of a deal.” Leah Salzman ’17 said, “I wouldn’t wear it often. And I tend to lose things, so I think it’s a really small artifact to buy and keep somewhere.”

Across the board, many seniors are choosing not to purchase a class ring this year. However, despite initial thoughts, the reasoning goes far beyond simply not wanting a large, clunky piece of jewelry. Larisa Owusu ’17 said that the reason she is not purchasing a ring is because “it is not accessible to everyone that wants one.”

A good portion of the campus has received help through the financial aid programs at Choate like the Beyond the Classroom Fund, which can cover tuition, book fees, and even team items. However, Owusu said, “I don’t think the students would ever use the program to spend five hundred-plus dollars on a ring they don’t necessarily need.”

Chiazam Nzeako ’17 agreed. “A lot of my friends are not getting a ring because they are expensive. If they want to use Beyond the Classroom Fund, there are better things they can use it on experiences that are going to be more valuable than just getting a piece of metal,” he said.

Several students agree that the price of class rings is too high, despite the offerings of the Beyond the Classroom Fund. Diva Jain ’17 said, “It’s really ugly and overpriced. My friends and I were talking about how we would like to have a joint class momento, but the ring is so expensive.” Blair Cox ’17 added, “I have one, but I think it’s kind of obnoxious. It’s a status symbol because it says that I have money to drop on a 600-dollar ring for no reason. I think it creates a division. I feel bad sometimes because I have one.”

Nell Shaper ’17 said, “I’m not buying one. I think it’s a weird thing to buy; getting a class ring for your high school graduation is a bit much. I personally associate class rings with an ivy-league, elitist vibe that I’m not crazy about.”

Other students hold a more positive perspective on class rings. Kate Moore ’17 said, “I have bought and ordered one. Although very expensive and possibly overpriced, I think that they are an important memento of your senior class experience, and I wanted something to remember Choate and my class by.” Thomas Barone ’17 commented, “I think class rings are essential to foster a sense of community within your class.”

Yavar Moien ’17 explained, “Personally, I think class rings are a valuable part of the Choate experience, and I would encourage everyone to buy one. Although they can be rather pricy, students can reach out to Beyond the Classroom, a service that can aid students in their purchase.” He continued, “Not only is the class ring a beautiful memento that represents one’s time at Choate, but it also just looks fresh. I can’t wait to rock mine at graduation, and I hope to see everyone else with a ring too.” 

In terms of why class ring sales have diminished over time, Anna Deitcher ’18 said, “If only a small number of kids in the class above you buy a ring, interest in owning a class ring declines in the subsequent classes because the younger classes follow the seniors’ lead.”

Nicole Sellew ’17 concluded, “The resurgence of this tradition through heightened sales depends on the School recognizing and addressing student concerns for the design and cost.”