Colin Myles ’17: Football Recruit, Wrestling Star

Photo courtesy of Ross Mortensen

Photo courtesy of Ross Mortensen

A big-time recruit from Sparta, New Jersey, and a two-season varsity athlete, Colin Myles ’17 has been a real asset to Choate’s football and wrestling teams this year.  Coming in as a postgraduate has given Myles an opportunity to enhance his skills on the field and on the mat for one more year, which he hopes will pay off as he looks towards college.

Sarah Gurevitch ’19: How did you get the idea of taking a PG year at Choate?

Colin Myles ’17: A friend of mine has a father who did a PG year at another prep school.  He introduced the idea to me and it all happened after that.

SG: How would you describe your experience entering Choate as PG?

CM: Coming in as a PG was hard at first because it took time to readjust to going back to high school after I had already graduated. But once I found my friend group and befriended a lot of other PGs, I was fine.  I found that as long as you are willing to make friends here at Choate, it isn’t too hard to do so.  I was able to adjust quickly and fit right on in.

SG: How have you been adjusting to the academic, athletic, and social aspects of Choate?

CM: Honestly, the academics here have challenged me, as Choate is way more rigorous than my previous school.  I have really had to learn good time management skills because I have to balance a tough academic schedule with athletics.  But once I was able to set my priorities straight, I had no issues.

SG: What sport did you take a postgrad year for?

CM: I was recruited for football, but I also wrestle.  Being able to develop my skills for another year has proved to be really beneficial for me. I’m excited to see where it will take me.

SG: How have football and wrestling impacted your life?

CM: Football and wrestling have actually greatly impacted my life. I have been playing football since the 5th grade and I just started wrestling last year. These sports are what allowed me to attend an amazing school like Choate, and I am forever grateful for that opportunity.  Without sports, I certainly wouldn’t be going to the places where I am headed.

SG: What are some of the best moments you have experienced on the football and wrestling teams?

CM: The best moment on the football team has to be winning the New England Championship for the third time in a row.  Wrestling is different in that there isn’t just one thing that stands out.  I’ve enjoyed practices, the people on the team, and doing well at our matches. I just love the athletic programs here at Choate.

SG: How do football and wrestling at Choate compare to the programs at your previous school?

CM: The football programs are pretty similar.  My previous school had a very good football team and an intense program like Choate.  Wrestling is pretty different because there’s a lot more traveling involved and bigger tournaments.

SG: Do you have any role models? What are your philosophies or life mottos?

CM: Zack Rey, who is wrestling in Iran at the moment, is my athletic role model.  He grew up in the next town over from me.  He went on to be a national champ and he wrestles for the U.S. Olympic team, but an overall life role model of mine is my father.  He has always worked very hard for everything he has.  My dad doesn’t come from a very well-educated or wealthy background but his hard work has always provided for my family, and I just respect him so much. In terms of a philosophy, my saying is to always make sure you’re working harder than the other guys.  I really believe in hard work.