Behind the Wheel with the Remsen Rink Zamboni Drivers

Photo by Andrew Garver/The Choate News

Photo by Andrew Garver/The Choate News

On Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, Choate students flock to the ice rink to watch their peers play hockey, with the occasional break for the Zamboni to come through. However, few actually know the Zamboni drivers and how they came to be. I spoke to three of them – William Bergan, Michael Svilzasy, and Larry Ryder – about their unique backstories as well as the pros and cons of the job.

First is Mr. William Bergan, a Choate parent, fan, and faculty member. He mentioned that he initially never knew he would be driving a Zamboni, saying, “It was required to be in charge of the rink. Driving a Zam was never a goal for me, hanging out at the rink was. Driving was just another part of the gig.” But Mr. Bergan has grown to love it. “It’s fun. Being the Zam driver is a good time.” Getting into Zamboni driving was a breeze for Mr. Bergan. He said, “I’ve known all the guys at the rink since 1992. When I retired two years ago, a slot opened up at the rink, and it was a shoe-in for me.” Meanwhile, training was not so easy. For Mr. Bergan, it took two months before he was ready to sweep the ice.

One of his most challenging moments on the job occurred at this year’s boys’ hockey game versus Deerfield. “The fans were going wild while I was driving. I tipped my cap, but they wanted more. It was hard to do any more than that, but on my last pass I raised both hands above my head and pumped my first; the crowd went wild. I don’t think I’ll ever do that again.” As far as his favorite experiences at Choate, he said, “My daughter had Julie Chu’s uniform, #13. After the season, I had my daughter purchase that jersey and I got Julie to sign it. It is one of my most prized jerseys.” As for his favorite thing about driving the Zamboni, Mr. Bergan said, “20 hours a week for 6 months, and then 6 months off during the spring and summer. You can’t beat that.”

Next is Mr. Michael Svilzasy, an all-around hockey person. When Mr. Svilzasy was first given the opportunity to start driving, he dove right in. He said, “I basically lived at this rink. I played, coached, refereed. I eat, sleep, drink hockey. Love the sport! When an opening arose, I was quick to jump in and try driving.” He also adores the job, saying, “Being a Zamboni driver is a lot of fun. We get paid to watch the most exciting team sport in the world. It’s also a great pleasure when someone compliments you on what a good job you did.”

But, as Mr. Svilzasy noted, it isn’t easy. “It is a lot harder than it looks. The best way to describe it is mowing an icy and slippery lawn with a bunch of people watching and criticizing you if you miss a spot or have crooked patterns.” His most significant memories of the job are all  quite similar: “It seems that at least once a year a player or several will eat too much before a big game and throw up. It’s usually spaghetti and meatballs, of course. Luckily, we have plenty of garbage cans and they usually make it there.” Why does he love Choate? “Choate Rosemary Hall is a great place to work! We have the best hockey, in my opinion, right here. I prefer Prep over even a college game. It is so fast, and the talent that comes in our doors is second to none.”

Last, but certainly not least, is the aptly named Mr. Larry Ryder. His opinion of driving a Zamboni is two sided. He commented, “Looking at the positive side, you’re a member of an elite group of people that drive a Zamboni. On the other hand, you spend your time going in circles.” He added, “Before I took the job I didn’t even know what a Zamboni really did. But the job kind of grew on me after a while,” as it did for Mr. Bergan and Mr. Svilzasy.

Mr. Ryder’s experience learning to drive was quick: “When I was taught, let’s just say it was on the fast track. But I’ve learned a lot along the way.” He agrees with Svilzasy, noting that the job is not easy. “It only takes a little distraction to mess up a run. There are so many things that can distract you. Plus, your co-drivers are your biggest critics.” But all things considered, he still loves the job. Mr. Ryder said, “My biggest joys are the kids, mostly the little ones. My fan club is four feet tall. I also got to see many good players come through the rink, most notably our Olympic girls. Many have returned and stopped by to say ‘Hi.’”

Next time you see one of these hard-working, fun-loving men on campus or at the rink, take a second to say hello and have a conversation. After all, they have one of the coolest jobs on campus!