À La Mode

Fashion, a style of self-expression, has often made people feel objectified or obliged to follow norms in order to feel included. A number of things have boxed people in, consequently making them feel safer or more included, such as dressing according to stereotypes, imitating the style of famous personalities or popular students, or even dressing in a way that shows anger towards the surrounding world. However, Elle Rinaldi ’17 believes that the way she dresses only comes from her or the best parts of her life, such as her friends. She says, “I used to not care at all what I wore. I purely dressed for practicality. It is so funny to see photos of how I dressed before. I was so happy because the concept of competition involving body image or socio-economic status and brands just was not on my radar. As time went on, I bought into fads and popularity. But even that has passed, thankfully! By surrounding myself with people who value novelty, integrity, and individuality, I have found courage to wear literally anything and everything that reflects me on any particular day.” Contrary to how many people would find comfort in the way they dress, Rinaldi does not base a large part of her style based on the things she enjoys doing and where she comes from, but on “people in photographs or in pieces of art or my friends!” Rinaldi also told me that she “used to be basic” but that “true friends showed me that genuine individuality was more beautiful than that.”

At Choate, many students believe that they have been able to find a place in which they feel comfortable expressing themselves through their clothing. Rinaldi also mentioned that, though she does not sense that her passions, such as dancing and running, have affected her style, she is subconsciously influenced by what she is going to do that day or want to do in the future. Being confident with what she wears assists Rinaldi

in leading the life she wants to live. She added, “Clothes are simply a tangible reflection of everything that is me.”

Photo by Jeanne Malle/The Choate News

Elle Rinaldi ’17 poses wearing her eclectic combination of clothes.